Aoi Art - Shipping Swords Worldwide

I recently had a pleasant dealing with Aoi Art (and a HUGE thanks to a certain NMB member for an amazing gesture)
In my correspondence with Aoi, I found them to be very helpful and quick to respond. I was asked to point out to the NMB members (whom they regard as an important part of their business btw) that they are running on minimal staff right now and that email replies between Sundays and Tuesdays are delayed slightly, so anyone emailing during those days might get a reply a bit later in the week, and they request your patience. They will respond as soon as possible.

They also wanted to add the following info about them shipping swords worldwide.
The following countries are serviced by EMS and can be shipped to via that method:

• U.S.A.
  • U.K.
  • France
  • Germany
  • Finland (New!)
  • Belgium (New!)
  • Philippines
  • Singapore (import permission necessary in Singapore)
  • Hong Kong (import permission necessary in Hong Kong)
  • Thailand (import permission necessary in Thailand)
  • Indonesia (import permission necessary in Indonesia)
  • *Russia (direct flight to Moscow) (New!)
  • *Australia (direct flight to Sydney airport)
  • *Canada (direct flight to Vancouver airport)

Despite any rumours to the contrary, other countries not listed above CAN be shipped to, in most circumstances, and they are successfully shipping worldwide again. You can clarify with them, but they do have a reliable means to service most areas worldwide, reliably and efficiently. I had no problems receiving an item here in SA, and if was fast and easy.

So feel free to make any enquiries if you are interested in anything..and please mention the forum if you order or deal with them so that they are aware of the impact of the forum, and perhaps negotiate a bit :)

Brian

• Like 12

I have had many wonderful transactions with them. As Steven said, usually 2 weeks for deregistration for swords. Shipping is usually another week, so 3 weeks to your door. I think my first purchase with tsuruta San was in 2004, never a problem. I even returned a sword once, and it was no hassle.

To the USA is easy, with no vat or tax due. Tracking number too, so you can follow it. Once in a while, I've had them held at customs in Chicago for a few extra days, but usually right through. I would call packing as adequate, although I tend to over pack for shipping. He usually uses those triangle-shaped boxes, with swords in bubble wrap and Japanese newspaper, which always gives me a smile. Papers are usually wrapped around the sword with rubber bands though, which I personally don't like the curve, but small issue.

Please pm me if you have any other questions. D

• Like 1

Hi Friends,

A few of the points made by Aoi I am checking with them as well as with my blade exporter. 

In my experience, sending blades directly to US, UK, France, and Germany has been no problem.

However, Canada has required sending to a middleman in the US first, and many European countries (Belgium, Italy, Russia, Hungary, etc.) require a stopover in the UK.

The PO system in South Africa and be problematic, so we were surprised that Brian's blade went through smoothly (congrats, Brian!)

My blade exporter has had problems with certain areas in Australia, saying that only NSW (Sydney) and Queensland can accept, due to differences in territorial laws.

Keep in mind that both Customs laws and airline policies can change quickly, for example, due to terrorism threats.  They are not carved in stone. 

The only countries with no import tax, to my knowledge, are the US and Hong Kong.

Aoi will only export blades you buy through them.  They will not act as a proxy for blades you find elsewhere, such as Yahoo Auctions, Buyee, etc.

I noticed Aoi also has matchlocks on their site, so I asked about them.  They said they could export, for example, to the US.  However I tried to export one to USA last year, and received Japan Ministry Of Culture export permit, but when it reached the airport, Japan Customs said it was illegal to export working guns from Japan.  Haha... imagine that, illegal to export a gun to the US!!  They answered, " in any case exporting matchlock is much complicated than swords. sometimes it takes many procedures and time."

If you have any questions about blade export, I will be happy to be of service.

Kelly Schmidt

Japanese Auctions

• Like 1

My blade exporter has had problems with certain areas in Australia, saying that only NSW (Sydney) and Queensland can accept, due to differences in territorial laws.

Not quite right...

There is no restriction in Australia for importing single edged swords and furthermore a specific exemption in place for katana. The only restrictions are ownership, which as far as I know only applies in Victoria (other Aussie might know other states but I'm in a rush). My swords all go through Melbourne in Victoria, are usually correctly labeled (some sellers use unusual descriptions for whatever reason) and there has never been any questions from customs about whether I can actually possess the sword. That is a matter for state police. The only hold up are those swords valued over $1,000 which require GST paying. Luckily it's fairly easy to get an exemption as a collector, so anyone caught without one is sleeping in a bed they made.

My own Aoi experience was pretty good, the only problem was FedEx whom I would never use or recommend. That was no reflection on Aoi though.

• Like 2

I concur with Steve - I'm in Western Australia and have had all manner of nihonto and martial arts equipment come through without any Customs hassle (aside from the GST payment), both from other states and overseas. And the post office is quite happy to hold items for you for up to 5 working days if you're not home to sign for them. I've bought from Aoi a couple of times and shipped via EMS, and have no complaints on that score.

• 1 month later...

My recent experience with Aoi Art was fantastic. From questions answered promptly (yes due to time differences there is a lag of course) to changing shipping dates (I was to be away right when the sword was to arrive) Aoi was perfect. 6 days from Japan to my door. No issues with customs, no surprises.

Very happy with experience and they would be preference in future.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..