Tsuba - Fighting Flaws With Flaws?

Andi B.

Hello together
I have a small shakudo? tsuba with a strange modification (actually a flaw).
Something was erased from this piece.

I could imagine there was a third - damaged - horse tried to be removed to fix the tsuba...
Could this be the case? Was it common to "fight flaws with flaws"?
Any idea what could have been carved away (horse, person, easter bunny)?

post-299-0-11123400-1492105123_thumb.jpg

post-299-0-37862500-1492105139_thumb.jpg

post-299-0-87807100-1492105148_thumb.jpg

I dont think its a missing horse - if you look carefully the horses have a carved recess around them, so this would still be visible if one were missing. Possibly another rock - personally I would leave as it is as it certainly doesnt spoil the effect for me - however expert restoration such as offered by Ford Hallam would be able to restore to perfection if required.

Thanks for sharing

Best regards

Michael

• Like 1

To my eyes this looks like some sort of later application and not the traces of something that was originally there.

For starters whatever it is/was it impinges on to the seppa-dai area far too much to have allowed the tsuba to be properly mounted.

There are also two slightly silvery 'blobs below the that rock-like outline. Those look suspiciouly like soft solder. They are certainly not meant to be part of the river bank and stream because the water appears not to be moving around them as one would expect it they were part of the scene.

And there are two small blemishes at the top of the seppa-dai also. I think that at some point someone lead/soft soldered something to the seppa-dai area. A fuchi or kashira perhaps.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..