Found A Wakizashi

EdWolf

Hi,

I have bought a nice Wakizashi from the Edo period. It’s signed Echizen no kami fujiwara yoshikado. It took me almost two hours to figure this out but I managed it on my own ;-) I’m learning…

The tang is also dated but I can only figure out the first to kanji characters. Kan ‘ei (1624-1644). Maybe one of you can tell me more about the date? The kanji characters on the kogatana are hard to read.

I have taken a lot of pictures. Hope you enjoy it. With the camera, I’m using it’s very hard to catch the hamon. The hamon is visible. There is some blade damage at the tip. I think there is some moisture in the saya or the blade was not wel protected by some oil.

Regards,

Ed

post-3919-0-01321800-1491906439_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-25753600-1491906440_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-78516900-1491906441_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-03358800-1491906443_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-41256300-1491906444_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-19594600-1491906446_thumb.jpg

post-3919-0-59391100-1491906447_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice find Ed.  I like the tsuba and note that it was crafted for a kogai only and not a kozuka.  Not a problem of course as it fits a kozuka too, but interesting nonetheless.  The whole ensemble is very nice and I find the lacquer quite appealing.  Nothing seems to have been stuffed around with and I'm sure the blade is worthy of a polish.

Best regards,

BaZZa.

Hi BaZZa,

Thanks! How can you tell that the tsuba was only crafted for a kogai?

Regards,

Ed

Ed,

here is your tsuba (right way up) with one hitsuana for a kogai:

post-671-0-85975200-1491917052_thumb.jpg

Here is a tsuba with one hitsuana for kozuka:

post-671-0-41232800-1491917130_thumb.jpg

Here is a tsuba with two hitsuana:

post-671-0-13053600-1491917178_thumb.jpg

Kozuka hitsuana on the left, kogai hitsuana on the right.

The shape tells all.

QED.

Having said that, the shapes of hitsuana vary quite a bit, eg., some tsuba have two hitsuana shaped as for a kogai.

Regards,

BaZZa.

• Like 4

I had never heard of a sashikomi polish. Very interesting.

Ed, that's the standard polish before kesho (aka hadori) was invented. I am agnostic, although I prefer old sashikomi polish and delicate hadori very much.

Here is an article about the differences:

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/togi.html

• Like 2

Naïve question; what is the school of the tsuba? It looks to this still learning collector  like Yagyu or Ono?

regards,  Johnnyi

Hi Johnnyi,

That’s a good question! I also want to know the answer ;-)

Regars, Ed

It is nearly impossible to attribute this rather generic tsuba to a school. Were it thick and were the iron blackish and of high quality, I would say Ono - like the one in Kremers' book. But in this case it is hard to say, also because of the low quality of your picture. The motif is the Dharma wheel, that much is sure :)

• Like 1

Very nice find Ed.  I like the tsuba and note that it was crafted for a kogai only and not a kozuka.  Not a problem of course as it fits a kozuka too, but interesting nonetheless.  The whole ensemble is very nice and I find the lacquer quite appealing.  Nothing seems to have been stuffed around with and I'm sure the blade is worthy of a polish.

Best regards,

BaZZa.

I wonder if it was originally part of a daisho, and the katana was the one with the kozuka?

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..