Mas L6 Production Shinken For Tameshigiri

eternal_newbie

Note: This is probably more suited to the International Sword Forum, but since I know there's a few martial artists here I thought I'd let the forum family get the first shot at it. If Brian or the mods disagree, feel free to take this topic down.

On offer here is a custom L6 Bainite katana from Martial Art Swords, formerly known as Butouken. It was made in 2009, a couple of years before the original MAS smith Yong Soon Park (http://www.arscives.com/mastersofire/3yong.htm) met with an accident and had to step down, forcing MAS to move their forge to Longquan. MAS, along with Bugei, were the only two production companies to successfully replicate, on a consistent basis, the bainite production method pioneered by Howard Clark.

This sword is in excellent condition. Nothing is loose, it has been used to cut plain tatami on only two occasions, and the polish is perfect apart from minor scuffs due to slightly overzealous use of (ugh) uchiko. That being said, this is a production tameshigiri blade and not an art sword, so this shouldn't be a real cause for concern. It is a surprisingly lightweight sword given the business-like sugata and elongated kissaki, for which you can thank the L6/bainite heat treatment allowing the blade to be made thinner and lighter without compromising structural integrity. The tsuka is double-pegged for extra safety.

Nagasa: 70cm / 27.56 inches
Tsuka length: 24.5cm / 9.65 inches inches
Total length: 103cm / 40.55 inches
Blade polish: Hand polish with natural stone
Geometry: "Traditional" with visible yokote and extended kissaki
Saya: Black gloss lacquer finish
Bo-hi: None
Habaki: One-piece silver plated
Tsuba: Crane in sukashi
Handle lining: White same
Handle wrap: Traditional black silk wrap
Menuki: dragons (I think)
Mekugi: 2
Fittings: Blackened brass

A martial arts sword bag will be included which has had the bottom end reinforced with leather to reduce the chance of the sword falling through or receiving damage if the end bumps into something.

I am asking USD$950 + shipping (I estimate about $45 to the US) for this sword. For reference, here is the price of an equivalent sword brand new from their website: https://www.martialartswords.com/collections/Japanese-swords/products/kuroyuri-katana. If there is no interest here within a couple of weeks I will post it to the International Sword Forum. A donation of $50 will be made to the board if sold to a fellow member.

More pictures here: http://members.iinet.net.au/~rjgengath/MASL6/gallery.html

T_DSC02746.JPG

Rohan 

Some really great prices on your items, id buy that wak if i  hadn't just bought a tsuba, then this, guys look for months for deals like this, your a very very reasonable seller. 

My hat is off to you.

Archived