Cleaning inside of Saya

DARREN

Hello again,

My Oiling the sword and putting it back into the old Saya results in it being covered in small black deposits which I'm worried could scratch the blade.Can anyone recommend a method for 'cleaning out' the inside of the saya or is it basically time to invest in a new one?

It would be such a shame to discard the old one as its Rayskin that I do believe is quite expensive to buy.

Many thanks.

Hi Darren

It sounds like you may need to get a shirasaya (the plain wood ones) for the blade and have a blank wooden blade fitted for the koshirae that is leaving the deposit. I don't think you need to discard the old one just don't store the balde in it if you are worried. The shirasaya is easier to clean as you can split it and clean it out but koshirea I think is very hard if not impossible to clean out properly.

I periodically put mine mouth down on a thick cloth and tap it gently a few times and see what comes out. I have also heard about giving it a gentle rummage with a straighten coat hanger too, but never needed to tried.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..