Type 98 Shin Gunto

I have a type 98 gunto passed down from my grandfather stationed all over the pacific theater. If anyone can help translate the markings or verify blade type I would appreciate it. Information will only be used to help date this for myself.

First question, what does the marking translate to?

Second, can any one help tell how the blade was made from looking at it?

Third, the tang pin and hand guard parts are missing, are these okay to replace, or is it taboo?

I appreciate the expertise, this peace means a lot to me and I would love to know where it came from.

Thanks,

Dan

looks like Kanenori. hard to be positive but most likely it is "showato" meaning not made in the traditional way, it may be oil tempered or made with western or processed steel. you can, and should, replace the  "tang pin", you can get guard parts if you can find ones that make a good fit

While it certainly could be Kanenori (兼則), to me it looks more like Kaneaki (兼明).

Edit to add: Take a look at this and compare to your sword: http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/oshigata/kaneaki2.jpg

This guy would be my guess for your smith, but tough with the pics and nijimei (From Markus' index):

Kaneaki (兼明), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – „Nōshū-jū Kuriyama Kaneaki saku“ (濃州栗山住兼明作), civilian name „Kuriyama

Kenjirō“ (栗山鍵次郎), born in December 1888, student of Watanabe Kanenaga (渡辺兼永), Niwa Kanenobu (丹羽兼信) and Fujiwara

Kanezumi (藤原兼住), he worked as guntō smith and died on August 23rd 1966

• Like 1

The Hanazawa Tanrenjo was opened in the late Meiji period and

operated until the late Taisho period. The following list

includes smiths from the Hanazawa Tanrenjo and their students:

1. Horii Taneyoshi (胤吉) / Yoshiaki (吉文)

1.1. Horii Taneaki (胤明)

1.1.1. Horii Toshihide (俊秀) / Kaneaki (兼明) /

Hideaki (秀明)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..