3D Printing

Barry, what specifically do you need to know?

The metal sintering process that John refers to has been around for quite awhile, & is used to make things like engine blocks.So, can a yari be printed? Yes. Would I use it in battle? Not a chance!

You would need to make a 3D solid model of the yari - not an easy task for a Jumonji! - which would then be sent to a service bureau to output (print) in whatever material you choose. The printing process is pretty straightforward these days, as long as you can provide a clean, accurate file in .STL format.

I've been creating 3D solid models in AutoCAD for decades, Barry, but looking at my own Jumonji, I'd hesitate to try to model it - there are a lot of curves! I haven't even been able to find anyone who will take on the job of polishing it. Does that help? E-mail me if you have more questions.

Ken

Hi Barry

Interesting thread as this is something I have looked into myself recently in regards to having a new  tsuka made .

My thoughts where to have the nakago 3d scanned including the habakimoto and a bit . 

From this a 3d wire frame can be generated and surfaces applied.

A lot of 3d printer software can use the scanned image without the necessary Cad application.

I have found a company locally that specializing in prototyping and they have the necessary hardware and software applications.

However they do suggest it could be pricey .

Also I intend to be present if I go ahead as I don't want a scratched or chipped daito.

I would then send printed model and fittings to someone like David McDonald .

Would be a matter of finding someone with similar facilities close by.

Used to do something similar for a job , making cranial facial implants for hospital patients from scanned and cnc generated models.

regards

Chris NZ

• Like 1

Barry, I've never tried it, but http://www.123dapp.com/catch is free software that lets you create a full 3D model from a series of photos. As a former Autodesk developer & dealer, I know that they're close to retiring that software, & will be making a free version of http://remake.autodesk.com/try-remake available that allows the model accuracy you'll need for shirasaya, or John's tsunagi. You'll still need to find a service bureau to do the printing, but the modeling is really the hard part, especially for something as complex as a Jumonji yari.

In my spare time, I'll give it a shot with my own yari, & will double-check the measurements to see how accurate they are.

Ken

Hi Barry

(Randy, Thank you for the heads up)

I work for an international company that is already active in the 3D printing industry for almost 27 year (I'm with the company for 23 years). Our HQ is in Belgium, but I'm based in Japan (where Im involved heavily in Japanese armor). We have about 140 professional printers, all kinds of printers: plastic, nylon, metal etc...

The key will be indeed to scan the part as accurate as possible/needed (I will ask you in private to send me a picture so I can ask my colleagues if it is possible or not). Scanning a shiny object is also always a potential problems, but there are ways around it. There are indeed some freewares that seems to be getting very good (like the one from Autodesk), but it all depend on the details you need.

In principle however I think it is possible (for your purpose), and would indeed be helpful for a lot of people who don't want (safety/restrictions etc) to send over their pieces.

We are able to print big pieces (or biggest printers, developed in house, can print things that are 2.2 meters (let's say a car dashboard or bumper) in one time) so a sword would also be possible (in plastic). Resolution wise etc probably good enough for shirasaya. But as a sword is long and thin, it could start to bend if not properly stored/shipped etc...

(if you want to see such a printer at work, have a look here. This documentary was shown on NHK a few weeks ago, but probably last year in the states and it is online on youtube.

Have a look from minute 9:30 where you see a mummy being manipulated on the screen and then also printed on one of our machines in Belgium https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUEJwKGM1DY

Concerning the possibilities of 3D printers in general. It is still a technology in full development. Many things are possible already, but the key is to aim for an application where you can use the strength of the 3D printers at this point (we make a lot of medical things, big companies like GE have invested heavily in metal 3D printing the last years so things are moving). Would I say you can print a sword on a 3D printer? At this moment there are no commercial 3D printers available (as far as I know) that could print a full sword in metal. Maybe in the future that will be possible. But then I would never print a sword, because part of the beauty of a sword is how it is (hand)made, and that is impossible to replicate with a 3D printers. But you can do many, many other cool things.... A nice example, and I think I posted it here a long time ago is how this replica was made for a museum... https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-historical-artifacts-nils-anderssen-created-a-perfect-replica-of-a-6th-century-sword/

Anyway, I will contact you Barry for a picture, and then will ask my colleagues in the US if they know somebody who could scan this in Canada or US for reasonable price and then print it. We have some printers also in the US, but it could be it works out better for you to print closer to your home, so let's see what is best for you.

Sorry for the long post.

Jo

• Like 3

Jo,

Don't apologise for a very interesting post. You are now our official "go-to guy" for 3D printing info :)
I look forward to more info, and following the technology as it progresses.
Would be awesome for shirasaya making....no need to ship the sword and no stress on the printed object. Tsuka maki might need something more substantial due to the exerted forces.
Habaki...also needs to be a strong area. But doesn't have to be big...a few inches of that area of the blade in metal would suffice.
We await news of the first professional habaki-shi who builds one around a 3D print :glee:
Thanks for the info

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..