Gendai Questions About Blade For Sale

Koopyetz

Hello

Saw this blade for sale on ebay. Listing is for blade only.

Trying to decipher mei to learn more about possible smith. 

Is this sword gendaito? 

Would appreciate please opinions to help me with my decision and knowledge.

Listing by wblwbl12 on site.

Thank you

I dont think this is from the soshu (chinese guy) on ebay imo. This is a little better quality. It look just like blades coming from another seller on ebay that sells a lot of bare blades that weve discussed here a few times before but i cant remember the sellers name. Someone else may remember the name. All the best.

Greg

I don't think these blades that Komonjo sells are from China.

I suspect they were forged in Japan in the last decade or two but for whatever reason, weren't considered good enough to mount and sell in the Japanese market.

My understanding is that the current regulations in Japan require that newly made swords are dated. I would speculate that, if Komonjo's swords are being produced in Japan, they are being sold under the table to bypass the current restrictions, with a gimei being added by the smith or added later to blades sold mumei.

• Like 1

Ray is correct. All modern blades require dates. I tend to lean towards Chinese production on these, mainly because I'd prefer to believe that a licensed smith wouldn't do this, rather than on empirical evidence.

Overall the quality of these chinese blades is getting very high, not to mention the polishing. Good enough to fool novice or beginner enthusiasts quite easily. It's not like the old days of "sharkskin antique samurai sword".

the OP he has not responded to my PM or this thread lets hope it servers others on what to look out for, my guess is he bought it and asked questions later and not happy with what he thought he had

He could have done worse, at least this looks a little better than the regular junk you get on ebay.

Im just quite convinced either way. Hard to beleive that a licensed smith would do this but hard to believe a chinese smith would do such quality as well as at the price they go for. Ive always had a gut feeling that they are blades that students made as practice or blades that smiths weren't happy with. They are a bit of a jump up from the top chinese blades ive seen. Either way something not completely honest going on i believe.

Greg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Stephen :

Please excuse my late reply. Thank you and others that replied for your reply and help. Wanted to let you know that I didn't purchase the blade in question. I wasn't comfortable  about it and wanted to ask this forum for their help before deciding to try my luck at bid.

Again, my apology.

Rick

• Like 1

I have seen these pop up on Ebay from time to time sold as Gendai blades i just watch but see people bid so they are out there,as they know there is a market for such things,i have purchased a few sword from Komonjo over the years he does have some high end stuff every now and then,he has mostly project blades which is fine for me, i had to look twice at some of these type of blades,hamon looks more chemical then traditional hadori polish,it has that dirty i have been acid etched brown look in the so called Hadori polished area on Ji,no blade polished with Hazuya goes brown like that,i also noticed on these a lack of Hada which leads me to believe its not polished at all to bring out hamon,if Jizuya work was done you would spot hada clear as day on a fresh made as Stephen said Yesterday-To blade

Julian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..