3 replies to this topic

#1 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

Lately I've become interested in Kyu Gunto however there is mighty little information or examples of high quality swords available.

I'm wondering if anybody has good examples in their collection, specifically Generals grade. Any help would be much appreciated.

John

#2 ggil

ggil

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

You interested in nihonto in Kyo gunto mounts, German machine made blades, Japanese machine made ones, fringe oddity blades in kyo gunto? I have an old police lieutenant's sword with kogarasumaru shape (similar to naginata grinding but with a double edged section at the end) what I think to be Japanese made with oil quench. http://www.militaria...yo-gunto-blade/Here is the link to the topic, in which hamfish shows a beautiful odd example as well; the go to resource for such blades is also discussed there. If you want the book I'm selling my copy for $80, just send me a pm!
  • PNSSHOGUN likes this

Grant G.

#3 PNSSHOGUN

PNSSHOGUN

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

Thank you Grant, I'm looking in particular at ones with Nihonto in them and preferably the higher quality examples of mounting used by Field/General grade officers. Thank you for the book recommendation as well, looks like a must have.  

• ggil likes this

John

#4 ggil

ggil

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

Quite welcome John! The nihonto examples are very alluring. I'd think that the kyo gunto handles (with nihonto) would be uniquely made to fit the blade, and thereby be a great way to experience the excellent Japanese chraftmanahip. Good luck in your hunt!

Grant G.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq