Musashi Masamune

Henry Wilson

I was somewhat dissapointed by this sword when I saw it. There were many magnificent swords on display, and I intently kept the Masamune as the last piece to study. Maybe I built up unrealistic expectations, or my eyes aren't honed enough to notice the finer points of appreciations. 

The Koshirae however was wonderful, and the historical background of the sword was interesting. 

Thanks for sharing pictures, they are better than mine! 

I personally find Masamune blades to be the hardest but the most rewarding to study. From the few that I have seen through museum glass I have always felt in comparison to other highly acclaimed swords that they are a lot less flamboyant and more restrained, making them more interesting. You have to look carefully and spend time with the sword as it it reveals itself.

That is why I asked about oshigata as I am pretty sure that I could see a large yuzuha (dovetail/crest moon shape) about a third of the way down from the point and guessed that an oshigata would reveal a bit more. It seems that the person who did the double sided large oshigata on the blog did not see it though and wonder what I actually saw. This leads to the more interesting question of how did three quite different draughts of the sword get produced. As I say, Masamune leaves you wanting to have another look.

I enjoyed comparing that sword to the Muramasa and the one thing that they have in common was that the details were quite hard to see.

Overall, the exhibition was very interesting. I hadn't been in the sword museum for a long time and was surprised that it was so busy for a Friday afternoon. There were a lot of twenty-something girls (anime type I think) and tourists, which is a big change from the usual clientele of middle-aged to old guys. Another highlight for me was the Compton Ichimomji. A beautiful shape (like a fish bone, if I dare say) and surface features that are outstanding and very vivid.

Henry, I think the fourth picture above (grainy as it is given the conditions) shows the element you are referring to. The problem with displaying that Masamune where they did was the lighting as well as the glass pane overlap right in the middle of the sword (unlike some better positioned swords).

My favourites were the ko-Bizen (Tomonari, Nobufusa), ko-Hoki as well as some of the Yamashiro blades.

The Muramasa, while a lovely sword, donated by a royal prince, evinced the typical masame + ko-nie hamon without too many hataraki compared to what else was on offer.

You make an interesting point about the lighting conditions. That may be part of it. The Muramasa did not strike me as impressive, either. 

The jewels to my eyes were the Rai work and the Ichimonji. Also, I particularly enjoyed one of the less famous piece - the very dignified Motozane tachi with ko-nie as bright as diamonds. 

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..