The Learning Curve

cuttingedge59

Mods if this should be somewhere else please move .

Hi All ,

A little story i will share based around a recent experience .

About 6 years ago I placed an add in the local paper advertising to buy Japanese edged weapons  .

From this add I had a small group of replys that resulted in viewing a lot of Chinese fakes and non Japanese items  with the exception of one chap who had a genuine collection of 10 or so items . A group of mostly gunto items other than a Shinto katana , yari mounted as a push dagger and tanto .Plus a couple of yari on their original shafts. He wanted to sell the lot as a group sale which really stretched my finances at the time. Anyway we couldn't agree on a price so that was that .

At the time I looked over everything but as a novice ( still am ) , I was not moved by the gunto and my goal was to own the Shinto Katana and yari dagger .

Recently I revisted this chap who is now 71 and he kindly showed me his collection again , what struck me this time  ( and surprised me somewhat) was how more appreciative I was of what his collection detailed.. He still doesn't  want to sell anything however he has my details and will contact me should things change.

To explain , fittings on the Shinto where very much better and is very much the package deal . Two of the Gunto;s have old blades based on the Harmon and habaki. The yari are probably of the type issued to ashigara with one having a better blade . One of the Gunto has kanji engraved on the kashira possibly the owners name .

And it goes on .This is based on a tsuka on view as he reluctant to remove them  .

What I am saying in a round about way is that if you put in the ground work with books and listen to those with more knowledge there is a very good chance you will learn and perhaps surprise yourself , This forum and the people who make it what it is play a large part in this process ,

Many Thanks to all and never underestimate how you have influenced  and informed those starting the hobby and passion that is Nihonto . :glee:  :clap: 

Best Regards,

Chris NZ

• Like 7

Experienced similar before Chris. Stuff that I saw years ago and wrote off or thought ridiculously high, suddenly appears to be a fair price when you revisit it with more knowledge and time.
Thanks for the reminder.

I hear you Chris. This subject is not a short journey but a lifetime adventure. Glad I can spend it with guys here in the forum minus yulian... It's amazing when you look back with more knowledge at a sword that didn't seemed like a deal at the time. I do it constantly, but mostly of the swords I looked at early on, belong to now friends of mine. Other collections I realized are complete trash now. At the time they seemed like deals since they were cheap.

Cheers

Charlie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..