10 replies to this topic

#1 John A Stuart

John A Stuart

Daimyo

• Moderators
  • 6,647 posts
  • LocationArctic Coast, Canada

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:50 AM

My daughter took this pic today in the tower. We have talked about this present to James I before. John

Attached Thumbnails

• Takeda Katsuyori presented to James Stuart by Tok Hidetada 1613.jpg

• Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini, Shogun8, Greg F and 1 other like this

#2 FletchSan

FletchSan

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:02 AM

I'll be visiting there in 2 weeks. Tower of London is first on my list followed by the royal armouries in Leeds - can't wait ;)

Ben

#3 Greg F

Greg F

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:30 AM

Ben there is some nice stuff at Victoria Albert museum in London (well there was 2 years ago when i was there) might be worth a look while in London.

John that is nice armour, thank you and your Daughter for sharing.

Greg

#4 FletchSan

FletchSan

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:55 AM

Thanks Greg. The Victoria Albert museum is just across from our hotel so will definately check that out as well.

cheers,

Ben

• Greg F likes this

Ben

#5 Greg F

Greg F

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:59 AM

Would love to hear about it Ben. There was only one blade(Tachi) back then but plenty of nice Armour, Koshirae and Tsuba. Have a great time.

Greg

#6 AU60

AU60

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

Interesting marudou. I suppose it was relaced recently?

#7 Geraint

Geraint

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationCornwall UK

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:39 PM

Ben,

If you have time the British Museum might also be worth a look and if your taste run to arms and armour in more general terms then the Wallace Collection, just a bit north of Oxford Street,  has a fabulous display.

You might also call in at Grays Antique Market and have a chat with Don Bayney.  (Worth contacting him beforehand to see if he will be there.)

Enjoy!

All the best.

Geraint

#8 Rich S

Rich S

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • LocationComfortable at home; US

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

Was in London many years ago and hit all three museums: V&A, Tower of London, British Museum - great places to see all sorts of antique weaponry.  Enjoy your visit.

Rich

Rich S, PhD, FAIC (ret)

------------------------------------------------------
The Japanese Sword Index
http://www.japaneses...com/nihonto.htm

#9 FletchSan

FletchSan

Jo Saku

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

Thanks Geraint. British Museum is definately on the list and would love to visit the Wallace Collection time permitting.

Only in London 2 1/2 days unfortunately though 2 weeks in the UK. Although I'd be very happy to turn it into an antique arms & armour tour the rest of my family may have a say on the itinerary :)

• Greg F likes this

Ben

#10 IanB

IanB

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

All, The armour in question was one of the two given to King James I (and VI) and brought back by Captain Saris together with a tachi, a saddle and stirrups and some screens. This particular armour was placed in the Tower of London, the other in various Royal palaces, The latter is now on display in Leeds and retains all the original textiles but has lost the kuwagata dai. This one spent a long time at the Tower being described as Indian (the armour of the 'Great Mogul') and suffered pretty badly. By the 1970's it had lost its sleeves and leg armour and the lacing was getting tatty. I have only ever seen B/W images of it at that stage and someone had mounted a pair of oda gote and an haidate with it that didn't belong.  As a result it was shipped to Japan for refurbishment and returned with a new kuwagata dai, and other helmet mounts as well as being completely relaced. Sadly it was a bit over-polished and lost most of the mon on the dou, but one survives on the side plate showing it was an armour belonging to a member of the Takeda family. It was far too small to have been Takeda Shingen's (he is portrayed as being rather corpulent) so it may well have belonged to his son -Takeda Katsuyori. 

Ian Bottomley

• Brian, Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini, uwe and 5 others like this

#11 Greg F

Greg F

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:45 AM

Great info Ian, thanks. Im kicking myself for not asking for travel advice here before my UK visit. It really would be worth spending as much time possible in London to enjoy the museums. I would of loved to get to the Leeds Armouries too. I hope you can share photos from your trip Ben. Safe travels.

Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq