Ko Gassan

I'm trying to learn, so offering up my thoughts and would like to hear yours.  To me this is an attractive package.  Beautiful blade, TH papers, koshirae is elegant and functional and also papered, famous school, sayagaki, polish, etc.  The starting price doesn't seem out of line based on other sold examples I've dug up.  It's suriage and wakizashi length, so maybe the only negatives???  I'm not a bidder, but seems like a better than average offering on fleaBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142296670996?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hello:

Interesting package for sure, but from what I can see on the sayagaki and NBTHK paper it is refereed to as a naginata-naoshi, not a nagamaki-naoshi. I don't think that has much material impact on value and the distinctions can be rather slippery anyway. 

Arnold F.

Hello:

Well Jean that might " in fact" be today's convention, I don't know, but I am now looking at the Juyo paper I have for a Nanbokucho nagamaki-naoshi, which clearly calls it just that, the paper being for Showa 46. It is that elastic standard that led me to add "slippery" in the above.

Arnold F.

Hello:

Yes Marius you might well be right. Sometimes in the literature they seem to stress that and images sometimes show what looks like a standard sword blade with a long (!) tsuka.  Again those with naginata-hi don't cross over in designation as best I can remember. Again I have seen blades called naginata that don't have the characteristic hi, and I have a Nanbokucho Naoe Shizu with standard hi, not the naginata-hi we think of, it being TH with Tanobe sensei sayagaki. I guess "the rule" is no binding rule.

Arnold F.

Hello Arnold,

This question came up in 2009 when speaking to Shigekazu 'Jimmy' Hayashi about my sword, as the NBTHK papered it as a naginata-naoshi katana, not a nagamaki. Jimmy's reply was essentially as I've written here that for the NBTHK nagamaki fall under the heading of naginata, and without knowing the specific history the NBTHK is going to designate it as a naginata.

Following that discussion I began to dig further and found in a published article, which I now have to find again, that the mounts determine whether a piece is a nagamaki, and unless the history is known the NBTHK will use the designation of 'naginata' . 

http://japantrip.tripod.com/Japan/osafune2.html,  

Notice that under the 2nd image the description reads;

"This sword was described as "Naginata naoshi katana" in the exhibition guide." 

Notice that under the bottom image the description reads; 

''Both the swords above were described as "Nagamaki naoshi katana" in the exhibition guide.''  

Clearly one sword has a naginata hi and the other does not.

Edited by nagamaki - Franco

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..