27" Yamato Blade In Shirasaya

eternal_newbie

After many years of collecting, I'm now aiming for my first Juyo piece and as such, it's time to start moving some of my old blades to their next custodians.

On offer here is a Yamato nambokucho blade with fantastic jigane that I bought from Chris Osborne on this board about 7 or 8 years ago. Seeing as he is far more knowledgeable than myself, I'll quote his original description here and use his original photos (for which he has very kindly given me permission):

The blade has a 27" nagasa - 30mm motohaba - 5mm motokasane. Mumei, nakago is ubu. This lovely sword was polished by Jimmy Hayashi, is in shira-saya, and has a beautiful two piece, gold foil habaki. This is a beautiful sword and the jigane is flawless and absolutely breathtaking. There is a small opening about 4 inches down from the kissaki in the shinogi-ji area which can be seen in the first picture. I spoke with Jimmy about this and he felt it was of no significance because of it's location and size and also considering the age of the sword. Everyone else who looked at it at the Tampa show felt the same.

... from what I remember, Jimmy said it was a Yamato blade and thought it to be a Mihara school Nambokucho era blade. Tegai was also thrown around at the show from a few people. One polisher said maybe even Enju. At any rate, I was told by many that it would likely go Tokubetsu Hozon or possibly higher........depending. Well, no way for me to know about such things but the work looks good enough to my eye, the jigane is absolutely gorgeous.

Photos can be viewed here: http://nihonto.com.au/html/mumei_koto_katana1.html

It has been maintained in a smoking-free and uchiko-free environment using microfibre and isopropyl in between oiling, and the condition of the blade and shirasaya remains unchanged since I bought it. A standard purple sword bag is included.

I'm asking for US$5000 and will cover the cost of overseas shipping for NMB buyers. If you want a specific courier (e.g. FedEx), you may need to cover the difference over the standard Australia Post cost. I am located in Western Australia (GMT +8:00) so keep in mind the timezone difference as it may take me a while to respond to any PMs. As is customary, if sold to an NMB member I will make a donation to the board.

Cheers,

Rohan

• Like 4

Just a note that this is a sword I encountered about 15 years ago. It was owned by a friend/local collector and I gave serious consideration to buying it (at a much higher price than is being asked here). A very beautiful, healthy sword. Good luck with your sale Rohan...

Best regards,

Ray 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..