Wakizashi Cutting Test

An unpapered,  mumei, ubu, wakizashi with a cutting test.  Doesn't seem like something you see everyday.  Does it look correct, and what are your thoughts on the blade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-1667-YAEMANO-KAEMON-TAMASHIGIRI-Japanese-2BODY-WAKIZASHI-ZOGAN-MEI-SWORD-/351923427675?hash=item51f045595b:g:q6IAAOSwImRYP9ks

as is his Gunto description 

EXCEPTIONAL POLISH ON OVER 2 SHAKU KATANA,IN FULL GUNTO MOUNTS W/SEKI STAMP. SHIN SHINTO,..SEKI & OTHER ARSENAL & GOV.ACCEPTANCE STAMPINGS ON NAKAGO OF WW2 APPROVED KATANAS) DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE NOT GENDAITO {TRADITIONALLY MADE SAMURAI SWORDS)..AS VERY,VERY MANY DID SLIP THRU..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-WW2-GENDAITO-Japanese-KATANA-SWORD-FUJIWARA-SEKI-GUNTO-MOUNTS-A1-HAMON-/351994990800?hash=item51f48950d0:g:IpUAAOSwa~BYSkeA

Yes Ray... I remember this piece, if my memory serves me correct I think the seller got a lot of heat not necessarily because of the piece itself but more his temperament and how he addressed peoples comments which may have overshadowed the sale of this piece. People more knowledgeable than him tried to educate him on his piece but he didn't want to hear it.

I've seen a couple Mumei Wakizashi in the past, I own a papered one (NBTHK Hozon) with 1 body Wakige test cut by Yamano Nagahisa. You can see a quick picture of the Nakago for comparison, sorry for the bad lighting.

post-2223-0-29028300-1488843712_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

he says the tsuba is worth $4500 to 6000 by itself. Perhaps that is why the price is a bit high. 

Chris

"Buy the blade not the mei"

"Buy the blade not the bling"

You can put a hobo in a silk suit. What have you got? A well dressed hobo.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..