Rubber Seppa

cuttingedge59

Hi all,

Have noticed rubber seppa fitted to some nihonto offered on e-bay lately , also seems the odd private seller has also used these items.

Always a bit of dodge going on with multiple metal seppa but this a new one.

Would I be right in assuming this a trick to tighten up loose fittings rather than something that was original.

Not sure how long rubber has been around but it is a stretch of the imagination to think that this was used by the period craftsman.

Any thoughts please .

Cheers

Chris NZ

Are you sure they are rubber? Other possibilities, leather, paper,  bamboo leaf, patinated metal, or " vulcanised fibre" invented in the 1850's which I believe was used on some gunto.

Hi Dave

Yes the sellers have actually mentioned the fact as well as  a private seller .

Chris NZ

I see it as a easy way of eliminating rattle in an ill fitting mount, or just possibly shock absorption for a cutting blade. Personally I stick with the traditional solutions, I know they won't damage the blade, or in the unlikely event they do, they do so in a manner that passes buyer/collector scrutiny.  

I've seen it too. It's just a modern cheap way to make fittings work better I think.

Natural rubber has been used since BC times for things and modern day "rubber" as we think of it has been around hundreds of years in one form or another, but I agree I really doubt period artisans used it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..