Inherited Nihonto

JoJo

as stated, assuming the blade isn't gimei (fake signature), your blade appears to be a WWII era blade made by Yoshihara Kuniie, grandfather to famous living swordsmiths Yoshihara Yoshindo and Yoshihara Kuniie II, and great-grandfather to Yoshihara Yoshikazu.

Yoshihara Kuniie is a well known WWII era smith who was himself a student of Kasama Ikkansai Shigetsugu, one of the most acclaimed WWII era smiths.

for more information, see these links for similar blades:

http://yakiba.com/Kat_Kuniie.htm

http://www.nihontoantiques.com/archive/g51.htm

it would be nice to see pictures of the rest of the blade, in clear focus, but in any case your blade is "out of polish" deserving of proper restoration, by a credible polisher.  the fittings are dilapidated WWII mounts.

PM me if you're interested in selling.
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm not planning on selling this one. It's the only heirloom my family had and the only sword I own. However if I ever do I would let you guys know, since you helped me figure out the maker. I would like to get it restored though. Any suggestions? Also can anyone make out what else it says on the sword?

Hi and welcome? Please sign all posts as is Nmb rules so we c an address you politely.

Congrats on the sword by a well respected smith. I think this blade deserves a polish and shirasaya if financially viable. All the best.

Greg

A few suggestions for polishing agents: Bob Benson, Paul Martin and Mike Yamasaki.

Yeah I'm not planning on selling this one. It's the only heirloom my family had and the only sword I own. However if I ever do I would let you guys know, since you helped me figure out the maker. I would like to get it restored though. Any suggestions? Also can anyone make out what else it says on the sword?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..