Importing Kiseru Into Usa?

yamabiru

I would like to send a few of my antique kiseru to the USA.

Has anyone ever imported antique pipes into the states before?

I'm naturally leery as they may be confused with paraphernalia.

Pipes are clean and do not contain any residue, soot.

Do not want any trouble. Any help to point me to rules and regs will be appreciated .

Thanks much!

Drug paraphenelia are prohibited. Opium pipes have been seen on the market. How they got here ??? Perhaps if documented it would be alright. I would specifically inquire with US customs and get a permit if possible. Here are gen regs.  https://www.iamovers.org/files/newimages/member/shippers/united_states.pdf

I would like to send a few of my antique kiseru to the USA.

Has anyone ever imported antique pipes into the states before?

I'm naturally leery as they may be confused with paraphernalia.

Pipes are clean and do not contain any residue, soot.

Do not want any trouble. Any help to point me to rules and regs will be appreciated .

Thanks much!

I have imported Japanese pipes several times with no problem at all, your pipes will not be a problem, if they are antiques it helps to state that they are "over 100yr old antiques".

• Like 2

I have imported Japanese pipes several times with no problem at all, your pipes will not be a problem, if they are antiques it helps to state that they are "over 100yr old antiques".

Drug paraphenelia are prohibited. Opium pipes have been seen on the market. How they got here ??? Perhaps if documented it would be alright. I would specifically inquire with US customs and get a permit if possible. Here are gen regs.  https://www.iamovers.org/files/newimages/member/shippers/united_states.pdf

Thanks much guys for the regs and the hands on info, greatly appreciated!

Use the harmonized tariff code for antiques.

Also, if you have any books or catalogs that have pictures and text of similar ones explaining what they are.... put a photocopy or two of a good page _inside_ [not on the outside] of the box.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes, I have moved kiseru backwards and forwards (to Europe) over the years, but always in my own luggage. I suspect your collection is very special and you do not want to take any risks. Mine were all silver kiseru, of no great artistic/historical value. They usually stink of tobacco, which would surely not attract sniffer dogs. Good luck, and please keep us updated.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just an update.

I did carry 10 kiseru into the US in my checked baggage on a flight from Japan with no problems.

Was carrying printed documentation from the sources referenced above as well as the harmonized tariff code for antiques.

None of the documents were "official" meaning some kind of certification of authenticity, but I think they would have sufficed.

I plan on mailing some more in the near future and will update again after that.

Thanks again for all the help here.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The only problem I have is that I cannot seem to find the Koiki and Takarabune tobacco for it. The last one is made in Belgium but that company refuses to sell within Europe. The only other way to get this tobacco, or so it seems is having friends take it with them for me or use a personal shopper, with the risk of customs checking the package and me paying a fine.

Grrrrmbl.

• 9 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..