What's New Pussycat?

Ford Hallam

For those of you who don't Instagram or facebook here are a few images of a piece I recently completed. It's a commission thus signed on the reverse.

Not exactly classical Edo period in style the composition is loosely based on a contemporary Chinese ink painting.

It's made of 120 year old finely wrought iron, the eyes are yellow gold and shakudo and the nose is pink gold. Pink gold only entered the Japanese metalworking tradition, presumably from Europe, around 1910-1915, so it's not see in tosogu but is often seen in Meiji period export objets d'art.

post-164-0-90830600-1488539954_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-02400000-1488539977_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-10129600-1488540003_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-36646800-1488540084_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-40040500-1488540045_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Wow Ford amazing work indeed! The 4th photo down is so alive and real looking. Such fine work that im sure the owner will never want to part with. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Greg

Ps. Each angle seems to have a slight different expression and all so real.

Hi Ford

I absolutely love it but am finding it hard to explain exactly why. I think the uncontrived and naturally rough appearance of the iron with the tiger appearing to emerge from it as a composition is fantastic and the finish and patina first class. It seems to hit the senses at a basic level and creates an emotional rather than logical response (like most high art does!)

Well done and thank you for sharing

Paul

• Like 2

21st Century Natsuo.

Ford, I mean that as a sincere compliment. You are really stretching the boundaries of this artform, in a good way.

Part of me would like to see you do a small Bansky design [love or hate his/their work, but perfect for recognizable play] on a tsuba, and have it slipped into a museum, then await the reaction.

If anyone could pull it off, it would be you.

Back to the main point- a very interesting pussycat. Love how you achieved the stripes on the back.

Curran, thank you kindly. It helps to have an understanding and appreciative audience :-) I'll keep on keeping on then.

I do have some subversive ideas that may yet come to life ;-)

Brian, Nicky's comment really made me grin :-)

and Cheers, Ray.

The Japanese Tiger face "debate" is nothing new.  It has been raised and (I believe) settled long ago with respect to several other Japanese art forms.  For example, netsuke and kakijiku (scroll paintings).  Japan did not have Tigers, so many early Japanese viewed them as mythical like the dragon.  The only encounter that an early Japanese artist would have had with a tiger was on imported Chinese art or in accounts of Tigers or skins coming back from the early campaigns into Korean.  I have seen Japanese paintings where a man is posing, crouched and draped with a tiger skin, while a Japanese artist uses him as the model for his Tiger painting.  Japan did have cats, and many of the artists used them as a model or formed their impressions of what a Tiger would look like from the combination of a tiger skin and the body/face of a house cat.  A cat has more of a Leopard's head than a Tiger's.  The scholars in certain other art forms (e.g., netsuke) have called this a "reptilian" face.  For these reasons, in Japanese art, the Tiger is often depicted with the more "reptilian" face.  In fact, one kantei point for age of a Tiger art item is whether it has a "reptilian" face (older or real) or a more realistic Tiger face (usually meaning Taisho or newer...)  With Ford's skill, I'd guess that he is simply following the Japanese tradition.

post-852-0-65111900-1489412080_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..