Please Help Id My Woodblocks

Chishiki

Chishiki

Two of these prints are signed Toyohara Kunichika although I believe they were all made by Toyohara Kunichika.  That red aniline dye wasn’t commonly used across broad swaths of prints before about 1875.  (Utagawa Kuniyoshi died in 1861)  The signature on the two are:  

國周筆

Kunichika Hitsu (Fude)

Meaning by the brush of Kunichika

Enjoy your prints,

Robert

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Once you have taken a shot with your iPhone, go to the photo and edit it. (Any little thing is fine, sich as cropping it slightly or altering the colour or light/dark contrast.) Then push 'done'.

At that point the photo should be fixed, and will not swivel when posted here.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi again Mark,

If framed keep out of any direct light and florescence behind UV glass and with rag matting pref glazed. They will fade and loose their vibrance. I have several. Also u may find they were printed after 1875 but before 1900. I believe the emperor banned kabuki after the refomation for a period of time. His history should be readily avail on internet. EdF

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..