Wow This Is Such A Bargain!

i made him an offer, figured he would counter and as i could pick it up no worries. He rejected the offer and started a rant about where could i find one for his price and what a deal it was so on so on ended up cursing me for making an offer he must have thought was too low.  so i guess he should not have had a "make offer" option. seems he is easily offended???????

i made him an offer, figured he would counter and as i could pick it up no worries. He rejected the offer and started a rant about where could i find one for his price and what a deal it was so on so on ended up cursing me for making an offer he must have thought was too low.  so i guess he should not have had a "make offer" option. seems he is easily offended???????

Hi Mark,

I see this disappeared. I want to contact the seller and ask about it. Could you please share what your offer was so I get a better feel for what I should pay? Thank you in advance

Sadakuni was a Jo-saku smith, rather than a Jojo-saku smith. The Jojo-saku comment was one of Tsuruta-san's sword-specific rankings which relate to a completely different blade and have nothing to do with this one. It is worth noting that the sword has quite significate kitae-ware and areas of coarse hada. IMHO, not a sword I would be scrambling to buy. Not long ago I was able to purchase a nicer, flawless, ubu, papered example by Hojoji Masahiro in koshirae for less than the previous asking price.

• Like 3

Sadakuni was a Jo-saku smith, rather than a Jojo-saku smith. The Jojo-saku comment was one of Tsuruta-san's sword-specific rankings which relate to a completely different blade and have nothing to do with this one. It is worth noting that the sword has quite significate kitae-ware and areas of coarse hada. IMHO, not a sword I would be scrambling to buy. Not long ago I was able to purchase a nicer, flawless, ubu, papered example by Hojoji Masahiro in koshirae for less than the previous asking price.

Thank you very much for your opinion and input. I was just asking about his offer.

Also without expanding the discussion I thought that the forging of the shinogi usually consists of 'larger' itame in the area where the blade is the weakest. Plus, this is a defense sword so that in a sense creates a path for justification of my liking. Also, how did it get toku ho? Does that mean that eventually every blade that has had hozon will be awarded the next level?

Thanks again 

Shinto blades are often masame in the shinogi-ji. That is one important kantei in determining when a sword may have been made.

Also without expanding the discussion I thought that the forging of the shinogi usually consists of 'larger' itame in the area where the blade is the weakest.

A sword must be submitted separately to shinsa for Tokubetsu Hozon. It is not a given that a sword with Hozon can be upgraded to Tokubetsu Hozon. Receiving that level is a factor of the sword's health, quality, etc. There is a specific ruleset which also determines if a sword is prequalified to receive Tokubetsu Hozon, such as the fact that a Shinto blade must be signed with an authentic signature to be considered to receive a kanteisho at that level.

Also, how did it get toku ho? Does that mean that eventually every blade that has had hozon will be awarded the next level?

Shinto blades are often masame in the shinogi-ji. That is one important kantei in determining when a sword may have been made.

A sword must be submitted separately to shinsa for Tokubetsu Hozon. It is not a given that a sword with Hozon can be upgraded to Tokubetsu Hozon. Receiving that level is a factor of the sword's health, quality, etc. There is a specific ruleset which also determines if a sword is prequalified to receive Tokubetsu Hozon, such as the fact that a Shinto blade must be signed with an authentic signature to be considered to receive a kanteisho at that level.

I appreciate you taking the time to introduce valuable facts in order to determine period specifically. As I have limited experience I can assure you no question will be asked twice but one thing that I question is - isn't masame finer steel? Or maybe it has a small mix of itame .. I don't know but I want to learn. Also, it seems like regardless of Jo Saku rating there must have been something that is worth the tokubetso hozon status in it. I think I will attempt to buy it, I am secretly hoping Mark would let us know what his offer was before I initiate contact with the seller whom has pretty good selling feedback so far