#1 EdWolf

EdWolf

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:36 AM

Hello to all,

Last Sunday I have bought an army sword with an old blade. See http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/21832-a-friend-for-my-navy-sword/

It’s signed Bushi Osafune Norimitsu (thanks for helping me with the signature!). There is also a date part that I’m trying to decipher. I think the first to kanji are Kakitsu (嘉吉) 1441. Can one of you please confirm this? Please be gentle, it's the first time I’m trying to read a Japanese date.

Regards, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• army sword 5.jpg
  • army sword 4.png

Ed

#2 John A Stuart

John A Stuart

Daimyo

• Moderators
  • 6,651 posts
  • LocationArctic Coast, Canada

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

It looks like Kakitsu 嘉吉 to me as well. John

#3 EdWolf

EdWolf

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:12 PM

Hello John,

Thanks for your opinion!

Regards,

Ed

Ed

#4 uwe

uwe

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 523 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

"Kakitsu" seems matching.
Nice buy, congrats Ed!
Uwe Sacklowski

#5 EdWolf

EdWolf

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

Thanks Uwe!

Is it safe to assume that this sword is made between 1441 and 1444 (Kakitsu). Just asking because I can’t read all the kanji characters.

Regards,

Ed

Ed

#6 EdWolf

EdWolf

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

Can someone please answer my last question. Thanks in advance.
Regards, Ed
Ed

#7 uwe

uwe

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 523 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Hi Ed,
the nengo is a bit odd. Can't also make out the last (or last two) kanji?! Given the "kakitsu" reading is right and considering shape and state of the nakago, it is quite possible!
Uwe Sacklowski

#8 EdWolf

EdWolf

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:20 PM

Thanks Uwe! I really appreciate your reply and opinion.

Based on the characteristics of the blade and the date on the Nakago it’s possible that the blade is made by ‘BIZEN GOROZAEMON no JO NORIMITSU’. Fred Weissberg of nihonto.com wrote an article about this smith. The article can be found here: http://www.nihonto.com/abtartnorimitsu.html. My knowledge about Japanese swords is limited but I try to read as much as possible about it. Maybe I’m totally of track but I have a good feeling about it ;-)

Regards,

Ed

Ed

#9 SteveM

SteveM

Jo Jo Saku

• Members
  • 699 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:08 AM

Hello Ed,

What does the actual blade look like? I couldn't see it very well in the picture from the other thread. Does it have any of the characteristics mentioned on Fred Weissberg's site? Is the blade in good condition? Are there any obvious flaws or rust damage? We generally advise people to focus on the sword rather than the mei (although the mei is definitely an important thing), and this will lead to a better appreciation of the sword and of the craft in general.   

Steve M

#10 EdWolf

EdWolf

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

Hello Steve,

The condition of the blade is rubbed. Therefor not all the details can be seen. With my limited knowledge, I can find some of the characteristics mentioned in the article of Fred in this sword. Like Boshi (Midari-komi), Hamon (midare), Nakago (file marks Katte-sagari, kuri jiri), Sugata (koshi-sori), Horimono (bo-hi, kakudome).

I know, the pictures are not of the best quality but the weather in the Netherlands is cloudy so it’s hard to improve the pictures. I will try to take better picture when the weather conditions are improved.

Regards,

Ed

Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq