Help With Dating An Old Blade

EdWolf

Hello to all,

Last Sunday I have bought an army sword with an old blade. See http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/21832-a-friend-for-my-navy-sword/

It’s signed Bushi Osafune Norimitsu (thanks for helping me with the signature!). There is also a date part that I’m trying to decipher. I think the first to kanji are Kakitsu (嘉吉) 1441. Can one of you please confirm this? Please be gentle, it's the first time I’m trying to read a Japanese date.

Regards, Ed

post-3919-0-09282500-1488263678_thumb.png

post-3919-0-99309700-1488263679_thumb.jpg

Thanks Uwe! I really appreciate your reply and opinion.

Based on the characteristics of the blade and the date on the Nakago it’s possible that the blade is made by ‘BIZEN GOROZAEMON no JO NORIMITSU’. Fred Weissberg of nihonto.com wrote an article about this smith. The article can be found here: http://www.nihonto.com/abtartnorimitsu.html. My knowledge about Japanese swords is limited but I try to read as much as possible about it. Maybe I’m totally of track but I have a good feeling about it ;-)

Regards,

Ed

Hello Ed,

What does the actual blade look like? I couldn't see it very well in the picture from the other thread. Does it have any of the characteristics mentioned on Fred Weissberg's site? Is the blade in good condition? Are there any obvious flaws or rust damage? We generally advise people to focus on the sword rather than the mei (although the mei is definitely an important thing), and this will lead to a better appreciation of the sword and of the craft in general.   

Hello Steve,

The condition of the blade is rubbed. Therefor not all the details can be seen. With my limited knowledge, I can find some of the characteristics mentioned in the article of Fred in this sword. Like Boshi (Midari-komi), Hamon (midare), Nakago (file marks Katte-sagari, kuri jiri), Sugata (koshi-sori), Horimono (bo-hi, kakudome).

I know, the pictures are not of the best quality but the weather in the Netherlands is cloudy so it’s hard to improve the pictures. I will try to take better picture when the weather conditions are improved.

Regards,

Ed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..