Master Forger Needed - Forged In Fire

No..not someone like Kajihei :laughing:
I mentioned prior to the "timawarp" that the show Forged in Fire is looking for a master smith, preferably Japanese, to participate on a very special episode.
There seems to be a lot of legal issues to deal with, in order to find a Japanese smith. Laws about forging non-traditional blades (i assume at his "home forge") or otherwise.
Anyways, still trying to get around that. And still looking for suggestions and people to reach out to those contacts that they have. Paul Martin is working his side. But in case they are unable to solve the legal issues...I am asking if people know of any really good forgers/smiths outside of Japan, and not in the USA/Canada?
Perhaps there are European smiths or people who work in the Japanese style who would be willing to discuss participation. Time is fairly urgent, and I would need help reaching out to potential participants.
So go for it guys...reach out to those talented people who are master smiths and who would like to represent the Japanese way of forging steel.
Anyone?

Brian

• Like 1

Feel free to reach out to anyone...as long as outside USA/Canada ( for this particular episode)
No guarantees, but I'll put them in contact with the producers and they can chat. Translators will be available if English isn't a first language.

Guys, have been told that the timeline is becoming urgent, and they are asking if we know any master smiths worldwide (do not need to be Japanese, or even work in the Japanese style) then please let me know asap.
Language is NOT an issue, there will be translators. But they are looking for a great smith who can forge, and represent his country.
Surely we know of some guys out there?

See nothing wrong with it...it is entertainment, and not geared towards Japanese "art" swords but towards knifemaking and forging a working blade that will do what it has to. And the historical aspect of duplicating a weapon from way back to do what it was designed to do....can't fault that.
But each to their own.
I don't think any smiths have refused to participate for reasons beyond legal ones. Therefore they have expanded the search to outside of Japan, and non-Japanese smiths doing any master forging. There are plenty of knife forgers in every country. And time is running out. So if you have a master smith in any style in your country...please make enquiries asap. It would be a great marketing tool for them, and as said...there will be translators, so English is not a requirement.
Where are the European smiths? Germans? Spanish? UK? There must be guys wanting to participate.

I don't think any smiths have refused to participate for reasons beyond legal ones.

You mention that already the second time, I'm curious what "legal issues" there are. For instance, a Japanese smith can forge whatever he wants when abroad, and there are no legal issues except if he wants to bring back his work to Japan. However, participating in a show like that might not be received very well by his peers. With the possible exception of him winning the competition.

Well...we already know the "peer" issue, since this has has been as issue for other smiths working abroad before, and becoming too "Western-familiar" I expect. But hasn't hurt their reputation any, has it? ;-)
But I suspect (and haven't clarified yet) that the problem would come in were the smith make it to the final round, and have to travel back to his home forge to do the project blade for the finals.
Firstly, 5 days wouldn't allow for a fully traditional project, and pose problems with the law regarding his license. And secondly, no guarantee the project would be a Japanese-style sword..so he may have to make some other weapon. Again posing a legal problem with his license. This would explain the legal issues possibly. And I don't think the show would set up a forge outside of Japan, as that would be against the spirit of the show.
Make sense?

Brian

But I suspect (and haven't clarified yet) that the problem would come in were the smith make it to the final round, and have to travel back to his home forge to do the project blade for the finals.

Yes, that would be impossible. But other than that, there are no legal issues if he works abroad, where Japanese laws don't apply. Have you considered that it might just have been the polite Japanese way to say "no"?

Well...we already know the "peer" issue, since this has has been as issue for other smiths working abroad before, and becoming too "Western-familiar" I expect. But hasn't hurt their reputation any, has it? ;-)

Yes, it has, I know two particular cases.

Yes, that would be impossible. But other than that, there are no legal issues if he works abroad, where Japanese laws don't apply. Have you considered that it might just have been the polite Japanese way to say "no"?

Yes..I know that there were extensive negotiations to try and make it work with multiple parties before it was decided that it was impossible to resolve some of the issues.

There are multiple younger smiths already working with people, agents and dealers overseas who are looking to expand their market. You know well enough that unless you are one of the top smiths in Japan, you can barely make a living as a smith. They are keen....the laws make it difficult though. As do the peer issues as you know.

But this is now about far more than just Japanese smiths. Even a good Chinese, European or Australian smith would be considered.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..