Strange Signature / Hizen No Kuni Yoshihiro

Katsujinken

A friend bought a blade for not a whole lot of money at a charity auction a long time ago. It's either a big wakizashi or short katana – it is right on the edge.

Looking at the mei, I see Hizen no Kuni Yoshihiro. The signature is katana-mei.

But I'm a bit stumped, because the only Yoshihiro I can find that signs with five characters like this apparently uses a different character for the "yoshi" and is from the late 19th century right before Meiji.

I found a Hizen Yoshihiro that does use these same characters for Yoshihiro who worked in the early Edo period, but his signature is hizen kuni ju ise daijo fujiwara yoshihiro – not the simple five character signature you see here.

Which leads to me ask: might this signature be gimei?

post-3990-0-82494700-1488157429_thumb.jpg

Well, given that the -ZEN kanji is improperly formed for a Hizento I would say gimei...

BaZZa.

Yes, I see that extra stroke in the top-middle of the character. So I guess the next step in any case is figure out how old the blade is, even if the mei is false. Haven't seen it in person yet, but will keep folks posted if this continues to be interesting.

Thanks Bazza.

Actually, check out this gendaito: http://www.katana.giheiya.com/shouhin_list/japanese_sword/iaiyoushinken/01-1344.html

"Swordsmith Hizen no Kuni Yoshihiro 肥前國吉廣, real name Fukuda Yoshikazu was born in 1934 and learned under the famed swordsmith Miyairi Akihira who was an intangible national treasure and Mukansaka."

The style of the strokes are not all the same though, to be fair. Thoughts?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..