Before And After Restoration (Owari School?)

Laurentiu

Some members claimed it is a cast (???) I do not beleve so.

Probably not cast. Just bland. And the colour is horrible, at least in your pics. Has someone used a felt pen to mask thinning "patina"? 

Not Owari. Please! Buy this book before you say anything like that:

http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b556-early-Japanese-sword-guards-sukashi-tsuba-sasano

Probably not cast. Just bland. And the colour is horrible, at least in your pics. Has someone used a felt pen to mask thinning "patina"? 

Not Owari. Please! Buy this book before you say anything like that:

http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b556-early-Japanese-sword-guards-sukashi-tsuba-sasano

Thank you for the book suggestion.

I did not use any thinning products. It is an oxidized patina.

After the process and good neutralization bath, I treated it with museum renascence wax.

Hello,

it seems, that the inner sides have been elaboratly cleaned, too. This should never be done!

However, several spots with a dull appearance and the crusty patch on the seppa dai hint to damage by fire -  so it’s not a great loss.

FlorianB

No fire treatment, only soft brush, hard bamboo brush. wood and plastic tooth pics.

What you see as "crusty", are deep pitting with inactive rust.

Real color is black with some dark brown finish.

Hello,

I’m convinced You did a careful job and certainly I don’t blame You of any fire-treatment.

But I repeat: the inner sides must not been cleaned! The shot I’ve made isn’t best quality but I hope You get the point. Note the contrast of the polished plate as well as the rim and the unpolished (though slightly rusty) inner sides.

post-919-0-30812700-1488630067_thumb.jpg

Especially on filigree motifs the rust can be very deep, so if You rub off the rust eagerly holes could appear and even the delicate bars simply could crumble to nothing.

FlorianB

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..