Tsuba Cloisonné

kissakai

Hi

I'm having a bit of trouble with this one

When talking about Cloisonné work you think of Hirata but with work of this type lower standard where do you look?

​I checked the 10 Haynes catalogues (a good reference for the more 'ordinary' tsuba) but without success

​A trawl on the internet revealed nothing either

I just can't find anything like this one

​If it hadn't been for the inlay I'd have said country work but this may be a wrong assumption

The side cut outs don't tell me anything and I could have done the dots better

​77 x 77 x 4.1mm

Any ideas are very welcome

post-2100-0-65827400-1487703218_thumb.jpg

post-2100-0-94789200-1487703227_thumb.jpg

Hi Grev,

Grey has this one, http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/holbrook-tsuba/h222-shippo

As yours look as though it may be tachikanagushi it might fit with very early enamel which I believe is called doro shippo, need to check that.  As far as I can recall early enamels were muddy and not translucent.  Later ones were much finer and Hirata work uses these.  

Have fun with this one.

All the best.

Doro-shippo

An opaque shippo (cloisonné enamel) work produced using muddy enamel glaze, which results in a unique texture different from glass enamel glaze. Brass wires which are suitable for classic muddy glaze are used for contours of shapes and colours

A starter for ten

This seems a good place to put my own example of a Cloisonne tsuba - I saw it recently on an interstate trip and have no idea at all where it "fits".  I noted the "muddled" and blotchy colours, but again I know nothing at all about these.  I have seen very high quality later EDo Shippo work and it is indeed a joy to behold, but this tsuba ...  Any opinions gratefully received.

Bestests,
BaZZa.

post-671-0-56152300-1487719417_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..