cut-off window

Guest reinhard

Guest reinhard

I'm using a 16:9 screen but switching to some of the threads, the page is cut off at the sides and a scroll-bar appears at the bottom. How comes?

reinhard

My guess is that some people are posting extra-large pics without bothering to resize them. The system automatically compensates for this and provides the scroll-bar so you can see the right edge of them off-screen.

I usually sacrifice quality in order to keep the piccie sizes down. :|

Reinhard,

Could you post a link to one of the posts that scrolls for you?

If someone uploads a pic wider or longer than the limits, then the forum converts the pic to a download/view link to prevent scrolling.

However if someone links the pic to one hosted somewhere else, then it will show the whole pic, and if it is wider than 800 px, then it will force the scrolling. So only when the pics are not hosted here. Maybe this is what is happening here?

Brian

Guest reinhard

Hi Brian,

There are only very few threads at which this happens. Actually there are:

"help with translation on late 1600's tsuba"

and

"pattern on Fuchi and Kashira"

both of them in the Tosogu section. Strange thing is: As soon as I switch to any of those threads, the window appears to be cut at the sides (with a scroll-bar at the bottom). I don't need to open a pic/attachment or activate anything. It starts from the very beginning. BTW This happened every now and then on the old forum already. No big deal, but it makes you feel like the NMB is overruled somehow.

reinhard

Reinhard,

As I suspected, it is external images that are wider than 800 px that are causing this. As you load the page, it sizes it to the widest item on the page..in this case the image that is linked from outside the forum. As an example..on that tsuba thread, it is the tsuka picture that is 1008px wide..and causes the page to have to scroll. If you ever see a scrolling page...just scroll down until you see which pic is wider than the page. That is the one doing it.

Doesn't happen often, as I encourage people to link to pix with a max width of 800px, use a thumbnail image, or host them here where they are automatically resized.

This happens on all forums, and with pix hosted elsewhere, there is little that can be done about it. Not to common though. Sometimes if I have time, I will download the pic..resize it, delete the external link and upload the pic to our servers.

Regards,

Brian

Archived