Can You Guys Help Me Identify The Top Katana In This Pic

Dennis benn

Aloha can you guys plz help

Me identify this katana . The one that is displayed on top !!

Is it a true nihonto ? And is it worth $900

It is from the Koto period made by Sukesada but it dose not have papers to prove it .. can you help

Me identify this katana and is is true ? http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/atq/5957214388.html

I don't think I will be much help. The pictures are not clear enough to see any detail from the nakago and the polish not good enough to see detail in the blade.

There were very many smiths signing Sukesada in the late koto and then shin-shinto period. The quality varied from sublime to decidedly average.

For $900 this looks to be an ok buy ( but only you can decide that). Whether it is worth spending more to have it polished would require a lot closer inspection.

• Like 2

Dennis, these blades are being sold by one of the members in my Japanese Sword Society of Hawaii. As Paul mentions, there's nothing special about either, & he's had them for sale for a long time. If you're interested in the Sukesada, I suggest making him an offer considerably below his asking price. An even better idea would be to attend one of our monthly meetings when you're on Oahu, & you can see & hold the blade. Bring some cash, & I'd bet you'd walk out with it...well, or, rather, over to Woody, who will polish it for you.

Ken

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..