Update On The Gendaito Project

Markus

Hi, just Paypal'ed you email address USD150. How will you know who paid you by PayPal? Does it show name and/or email address on the transaction record? I don't want to miss out on the book, I am excited that we (collectors/enthusiasts) are being catered for with research material that needs to be consolidated at last. If you need photos of swords or MEI, are you going to ask NMB members for photos? I am sure they all exist some where out there. Good Luck, Neil.

Come guys....with the entire forum here, surely we can do better than this so far?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gendaito-project#/backers

Even if you are just purchasing the book..or donating a few bucks towards the project, this is something we need. Even those not really into Gendaito, this book is necessary. In another 30 years, these swords will be antiques, and probably the next shin-shin-shin-to :)
We need this research for the future of collecting. Let's support this project, and make sure it happens. An online Gendaito resource would be a tremendous help, especially once it starts being updated as new info comes forth. Plus it will increase the value of those Gendai swords we have at home..more reference works = more interest = better investments.
Go for it...let's give this another jumpstart.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry for being slow on this lately. I am about two thirds-through with the book. When reaching the half-way-through-the-book mark, I realized that I slightly have to change the concept. That is, I had to remove oshigata and blade pics and focus more on details in the careers/CV's of the smiths as I was foreseeing the physicals limits of the book. All references will then anyway be available for free online on the website of the project. Apart from that, I still try to edit/add a few smiths every day so that there is no standstill. 

• Like 5

Markus, i pray for some oshigatas and pictures  :)

If it is allowed to say i found the concept of the book "Modern Japanese Swords - The beginning of the gendaito era" not bad. But the book is to small and so it has to less informations. But the Pictures are really great and usefull. A book in the dimensions like Koto-kantei from you would be perfect. Maybe you can splitt the informations in different books?

Best 

Chris

It is going to be worth waiting for.

This is for sure!!!

For serious Gendaito collectors, this book will be a must.

Oshigatas, photos from blades would be really great - so maybe a Gendaito Smith book series would be the solution .... however I will buy the book(s) ... and a eBook if available too.....

• Like 1

Markus, i pray for some oshigatas and pictures  :)

If it is allowed to say i found the concept of the book "Modern Japanese Swords - The beginning of the gendaito era" not bad. But the book is to small and so it has to less informations. But the Pictures are really great and usefull. A book in the dimensions like Koto-kantei from you would be perfect. Maybe you can splitt the informations in different books?

@Chris: There will be oshigata for sure and the book will also be in the ballpark of the Koto-kantei, i.e. around 700 pages. What you addressed is exactly why I am between a rock and a hard place: Slightly less information but great pictures or great info and lesser pictures (also taking into consideration the recent Lulu quality drop for non-US prints as you know).

The book will feature more than 1,100 gendai smiths and I think that hardly any (non-Japanese) publication has come anywhere near that number and depth of information. Also, and halfway through the project, I have met with Chris Bowen who has an incredibly extensive archive on gendai smiths. So I have to wrap my head around the best way to incorporate the valuable info that he has (and that we would have to sort out together) into the book too.

EDIT: Just checked my Gendai folder. It contains of more than 10,000 pics/files, many of which I have received from supporters of the project. So the final website should be an awesome database on gendaitō.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..