Muramasa Tanto In Pretty Tough Shape

brannow

Hi All,

So I was pulling stuff out of my safe and I found several interesting swords that I had completely forgotten about.  One is a tanto by Muramasa that is in pretty abused shape.  I bought it years ago thinking I would have it restored and save it but I just have way to many swords in for restoration and too many others in the que.  I am sure some one would be interested in it so my question is what is it worth in this condition as is.  looks like the hamon is there.

post-424-0-58279500-1486363751_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-52630700-1486363758_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-54436700-1486363765_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-32577300-1486363772_thumb.jpg

Francesco,

I agree that the shape is an imitation of the shodai but is normally on longer blades and not on tanto. So, you have:

- a katana shaped nakago (X)

- with somewhat weak chiselling(X)

- of the Shodai shape

- but with a 'Mura' which is not typical of the shodai (X)

- with a nakago mune which from the not too detailed pictures looks like a nidai mune (X) - the shodai's has more rotundity and this is angular

For these reasons I think it is not genuine but that is just my view. Bill - you probably could enjoy it for what it is.

Michael

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..