Antique Japanese Sword Shop Kanetoyo

Its not the same as selling iphones!

Sure somebody can view a sword just for its monetary value and be willing to compromise their ethics to maximise profit.

But lets imagine that was a genuine Naminohira. It is not only disrespectful to md02geist but also to its previous owners throughout time.

A truly honourable person should be honourable every time. Lapses show that  the rest of the time is just pretence and not true character.

In the modern world the karma returns as being outed on the world wide web.

I suspect the karma delivered by a Satsuma Samurai would have been rather more harsh!

I know everybody has to make a living  - but its not the same as selling iphones. Someone may well have once considered that sword to be their Soul.

Just saying.

• Like 2

As mentioned, there are many people happy with their dealings, and some obviously not. In the end, the deal didn't happen. You were refunded. Most loss was in time and effort. There are dealers out there that take money and deliver nothing, and run away with the money. So all in all, it could be far worse and I think we need to take things in context. There are people that have had bad experiences with every dealer out there. Aoi has fans, and people that will not deal with them. The same for every US dealer, although we do have some great dealers on board here.
I have been in contact with Nakamura san, and he is concerned about bad impressions and is making an effort to try and resolve queries.
At least some dealers are members here, do read, and note concerns. Life could be much worse. I refuse to censor people on the forum....but everyone is allowed a rebuttal.
No-one can "buy" good feedback here....so do your homework, and ask questions.

• Like 3

The money wouldn't have been stolen because I utilized PayPal.

But yes I agree people have suffered worse.

However "it could have been worse" doesn't excuse the incident. "At least you didn't lose your leg" doesn't stop a broken bone etc.

I've said what I had to say here and that's basically all I got. I'm moving on and will never deal with him again, and dependable people will get my money in deals instead.

With all the statements of "alternative facts" I'd be happy to provide chat logs. I keep paper trails of *every* deal I do.

• Like 1

People seem to keep complaining about the same sellers. You know what would be beneficial?

This does not apply to every seller, but does seem to reoccur regarding the same ones. If we had names of sellers who can be proven to have done the wrong thing, a tally on a sticky post could be maintained.

For instance, I have bought a many blades online and the sellers description can be quoted as being perfectly straight or has no edge damage. When the item arrives, it is a mess and photos have hidden the problems.

If I can post cut and dry evidence stating that a seller  said a sword was dead straight and it is bent like a banana, they should get a black mark for wasting my time and money.

If a seller constantly runs auctions then refuses to sell the item because it didn't go high enough, then this is reflected in the tally, which can save people staying up  late at night to bid on poor sellers. If people can prove that it obviously occurred, they should get a mark against their name.

That way people can see who to stay away from. Many of these sellers have zero ethics and do more harm to the hobby than good.

If its a one off, then the numbers will show that. If nothing happens for six months of a year, it could be cleared. The latest mark could have a date attached.

This would NOT apply to things like shipping taking too long or they said it was shiner than it actually is or the signature was fake ,but would be chalked up at the discretion a Moderator. This should only apply to specific things and not be subjective. The blade either has rust or doesn't, it is either straight or bent, it either has a perfect edge or has edge damage to some degree

People keep saying read feedback or ask around for opinions, but that is rubbish. Negative feedback is easily and readily removed from auction sites these days to promote more sales. To get negative feedback removed by eBay is very easy. Also asking random people around the world what they think of someones business ethics is hardly a reliable gauge of what they are like overall.

Just some ideas, better than the current system of trial and error, with many people bagging out online auction systems as a whole due to the behaviour of a few.

Trent

• Like 2

An ''approved'' seller list would be very handy however it is open to problems in itself.

Some have no issues with one seller while others have nightmares. It's entirely subjective sometimes and that can be difficult to tally.

Doing your research first is the first point in buying any high price item, no exceptions! Even if you're purchasing from Christies you must research it thoroughly. Usually the problems I have encountered were from trying to get a cheap or "good" deal. Buying from trusted, reputable dealers who have been in business for years is often more pricey, but usually precludes any headaches.

But I agree, a pinned topic with the most trusted and well received dealers, websites, ebay sellers would be handy for those unsure or new to collecting. 

Someone is asking for NMB to be sued. It is JSSUS policy not to recommend artisans, appraisers etc because of the legal advice we received years ago. That is the main reason why we do not have a recommended vendor/artisan list.

Brian, stay away from this.

• Like 8