Ebay: Koa Isshin: Real Or Fake?

barnejp

Hello,

Nice looking Mantetsu...Have attached some photo's of the one I have for comparison...Hope they are of use..

Regards,

Paul..

post-1225-0-78365300-1486313724_thumb.jpg

post-1225-0-28308700-1486313731_thumb.jpg

post-1225-0-19307900-1486313740_thumb.jpg

post-1225-0-18843500-1486313772_thumb.jpg

post-1225-0-54034200-1486313793_thumb.jpg

post-1225-0-53890000-1486313802_thumb.jpg

Stephen, I agree, even the date is the same - Spring 1941. So for a high quality operation like Mantegsu, why would the mei be so thinly cut. The auction pics are low quality, but even the file marks , which are distinct on mine, are almost not visable on the auctioned one. The memugi ana isn't cut in the same place. Then that seppa, which of course could have been a replacement.

My first thought on seeing it was this looks more like something done late war, yet it's Spring 1941.

I don't know.

Looking closer, the Mei is not poorly cut, it appears to have been wire brushed. look how the yasuri Mei is deep towards the edge and almost invisible near the shinogi line. It looks like it was smoothed over by someone trying to remove rust. 

Kurt K

And Now seeing what Stephen just wrote. 

• Like 2

I will withhold comment until the auction is over.

And now that it is, I think the blade and many if not all of the bits are original and genuine, but did not start service life together. Not the right series of seppa for such an expensive blade, for these were never cheap when new made.

• Like 1

There are a lot of Put Togethers, out there. Personally, that doesn't bother me too much, as long as it's good quality.  I'm principly a Gendai to collector and I don't own a Showa to  or NCO sword.  I just don't bother with them.  However it is certainly nice to have a sword in it's original and complete Koshirae.  But to me, the blade is the most important thing.

• Like 1

An interesting observation about

Koa Isshin blades, some have Mokume hada, some Itame hada and some Nashiji hada.  If supposedly they are are all made the same way, Then why the differences?

I cannot comment on plain Mantetsu blades, as I have only seen a couple and they were badly out of polish.

Seen these seppa on a number of original Mantetsu blades, no surprises or worries there.

Worth knowing, thanks for the info'. That's something I have noticed about Gunto in general though, for a service sword made to regulations there's certainly a lot of variation.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..