Would Like To Buy A Not To Expensive Nihonto ..

Dennis benn

Aloha I'm keahi new to this study of Japanese swords other wise known as nihonto .. I would like to buy a true nihonto . I would like to have one to help with the study and research I'm getting into . I don't have a hudge budget but if any one here can point me to right way I would be greatly appreciated of This .. this is exciting for me plz help me get on the right track

Hi Dennis and welcome, it's always suggested to buy books before jumping into a first purchase to get a better understanding of what you're after as tastes develop and change with greater knowledge so what you enjoy now may not be the case in a year or two. Also the added time would allow you to save up for something better depending on your current budget.

There's several very experienced members from Hawaii that you could learn from and I believe Ken runs a study group.

• Like 1

Hey man,

Grab yourself a copy of this pronto:

https://www.amazon.com/Connoisseurs-Book-Japanese-Swords/dp/1568365810/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486082572&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=connossieur%27s+book+Japanese+swords

It was just reprinted and is now available for like a fraction (1/2-1/4) of the price it was before. You've jumped in at a solid time.

Thank you all for your response .ive been doing alot of researching and have got a few books to help as well . I'm looking for a koto period sakasada blade .I am aware there were many makers under the name sakasada . Also i am working with a low budget but working on making it larger. It's the moment only working with $300 and I can't imagine there is anything within that range !!

Nothing koto period for 300 is going to be worth the cost to ship, it will be one hunk of nasty rust or broken all to hell....your best bet is to save up some more like a grand or so and then go for a shinto or shinshinto wakizashi or tanto or something if you want a cheaper something to begin studying on.

Aloha kakahiaka, Keahi:

I know all about the internal pressure to own your first Nihonto...been there, done that. But if you want to maximize what you get for your money, studying is the best way. I spent a lot of $$ on Shinto blades my first few years, but then found a mentor who showed me the error of my ways, & now I'm selling those off so I can buy Kamakura & Nambokucho replacements. Why? Because the older Koto blades are much more interesting! Of course my saying that is just one more opinion, & you alone will need to decide whether more-modern blades (Showato, Gendaito, shinsakuto) meet your interests.

Guido Schiller (a long-time NMB member) wrote an article that you should really look at: http://jssh.org/tips.html. That definitely opened my eyes as to what & how I should collect.

A hui ho,

Ken

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..