Any Help With This Masayuki Saku?

Guest Rayhan

Hi all

I am putting up some pictures of a Masayuki Saku Katana which was my 4th purchase many, many years ago. I am only sending it to Shinsa next year so thought we could have a go identifying on NMB.

The nakago is Kuri Jiri and mei (Masayuki Saku) is heavily set. Overall the patina is telling me late Edo maybe early 1800's?

The hamon although refined, has an almost wild feeling in the kissaki area.

O-Kissaki 

What do you guys say? Is it....Kiyomaro?!?

post-3929-0-97230500-1486021889_thumb.gif

post-3929-0-00126500-1486021896_thumb.gif

The problem with any Masayuki is that there were a huge number of fake Kiyomaro and Masayuki blades produced. So when one appears without history or appraisal documents the assumption is that it is most likely to be gimei. In reality the vast majority that do turn up are wrong.

I have attached two images of probably two of the most famous (certainly one of the most expensive) Masayuki blades to appear in auction in the past 25 years. They were from the Francis Festing collection and I think the Daito exceeded $400k (bought by Tsuruta san of Aoi Art). There is also an excellent publication of Kotetsu and Kiyomaru which has a lot of examples of his blades.(Check Grey's site I think he has/had copies)

Take a look at the mei on each and see how they compare to your example.

post-15-0-74455700-1486109321_thumb.jpgpost-15-0-87010600-1486109322_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Paul thank you for taking the time to guide me. I shall purchase the books from Gray ASAP. After looking at the mei it is apparent that perhaps my hopes were too high on this one, I see a similar chisel style in the mei application but the kanji is completely different. I wish there was either more information or direction on this smith Masayuki. I gave the picture of the mei to Tsuruta sama last year and his reply was that it's a genuine mei but not famous. He then came back a week later saying that I should perhaps send it in to Shinsa and get an opinion. It's just a lot to spend if it's not going to go very far on the judging side.

Still a lovely sword though :)

Rayhan Perera

Hi Rayhan.

Don't lose sight of the fact that there are quite a number of Shinshinto Masayuki, Hawley has around twenty.  There are so many oshigata of the main man and far fewer of the others you might struggle to find the right man.  That would account for Tsuruta san's message.

As you say, it's still a very nice blade.

All the best.

• Like 3

Hello Rayhan,

Beautiful blade..

Regards,

Paul..

I second what Geraint said earlier. I don't think it is Hitachi Masayuki either, those 2 famous ones are the only ones I have reference mei as I don't have too many books on newer swords. But there are plenty of Masayuki.

Looks like a nice sword to my eye. Regardless of the mei.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..