"hokke" Wakizashi - Aoi Auction

Just FYI, the wakizashi at auction below does not have Tokubetsu Hozon. I queried Tsuruta-san on this and the sword has only an internal (Aoi-Art) attribution to Hokke. The listing and auction page have not yet been updated to reflect the lack of a kanteisho. 

https://www.aoijapan.com/wakizashi-mumei-attributed-to-hokke

250,000 JPY would have been a very reasonable price for a flawless wakizashi with Tokubetsu Hozon, so just issuing this warning in case someone was planning to bid (as one individual already has).

Best regards,

Ray

• Like 4

Hello:

It seems that right and left hand at Aoi Arts are often quite disconnected, not by design but by the busyness of that small shop. I recently bought and paid for a sword that had only a Fujishiro origami, not a bad thing to have by any means, but eventually along comes the sword with an entirely unannounced and freshly minted Hozon paper, saying just the same thing of course. One never know.

Arnold F.

• Like 2

Yes, agreed and I am likewise sure these are unintentional errors. With Aoi it is always best to read through the descriptions very carefully and ask if anything looks off or has been expressed in a way that is not clear. Additional examples:

Ju-to listed on their auction page as a 'Dewa (no) Kami Masahiro' is of course actually a Yukihiro:

https://www.aoijapan.com/how-to-order/auction-list

Item 16629 listed as a Ko-Naminohira on the katana page is actually a Ko-Uda. The individual sword detail page was eventually corrected but the listing page is still incorrect.

https://www.aoijapan.com/japaneseswords/katana

I was sucessful - I think I didn't do terribly.  My intention is to go through with the purchase, but request that the sword be submitted for Shinsa.

Thats a solid tight healthy blade - i suspect in more "traditional" koshirae it would have started at a higher price.

I personally wouldn't need more than AOI's estimation but either way enjoy - nice purchase  :)

• 4 months later...

Then their attribution was not far off, Hokke and Mihara are both associated with sword production in Bingo. Was the attribution Mihara only (rather than Ko-Mihara or Sue-Mihara)? If just Mihara, this indicates Chu-Mihara and skews the sword a bit later than Aoi suggested, perhaps early Muromachi rather than Nambokucho. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..