Gunto Translation?

Wakal

Hello,

I am trying to verify the markings on an Imperial sword for the museum for which I toil; discovered in our archives this will eventually end up in the Pacific display once we know just what it is we have here!

Thanks for your assistance,

Alex

post-3965-0-29911400-1485742987_thumb.jpg

post-3965-0-78187500-1485742990_thumb.jpg

And the whole assembly,

My next question will be advice for restoration...the menuki and mekugi are missing as well as the wrap, and the tuska core is cracked...but first things first...

I suspect it was made by (Kajiwara?) Hiromitsu, of Fukuoka prefecture, in 1943.  The fact that it is a lot nicer than the machine made blades in our collection is not in question!

Thanks again,

Alex

post-3965-0-03491300-1485743196_thumb.jpg

According to this site https://www.japaneseswordindex.com/oshigata/index.htmthere are three different Hiromitsu smiths producing guntō, all using the same 廣光 kanji combination. 

Yours looks very much like the second in this list, which looks different from Kajiwara Hiromitsu.  

The year is correct: 1943 (昭和十八年)

Dear Alex,

In my opinion this koshirae is worth a rewrap and some menuki.  I think from the museum conservation point of view that would be perfectly reasonable as the koshirae is not of significant historical value as is and that is almost certainly the treatment it would receive in Japan.  I have not checked but I seem to recall that swords in the British Museum which were sent to Japan for restoration included those whose tsukamai needed work, I'll check that later if it would help the museum decide.  To me it looks in good enough polish to leave that.  Swords in museums, with certain notable exceptions, often suffer neglect as staff know little about them and you tend to get all the issues of incorrect handling and so on.  As every polish removes metal from a sword best to give this one it's chance for later on when we are all gone and it will have acquired significant status.  :)

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..