Ww2 Aluminium Scabbards

IJASWORDS

I have a number of GUNTO (some with GENDAI blades), that are equipped with aluminium scabbards. I obviously know that they were reasonably common, but have three questions about when they were introduced, were they in their time equal in status to other scabbard materials, and, why was aluminium used (lightness, easy to form?).  

They certainly make the outfit lighter to carry, but on the down side, dent and deform easily. Neil.

post-3858-0-43021600-1485678256_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-64518500-1485678265_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

You hit the nail on the head.

its not as light as lacquered wood, but  tougher and light. sadly the paint  from observation has a poorer bond to aluminium then to steel

Then again, none of them were expected to go without maintenance for 70 years.

• Like 1

Was the use of aluminium not due to the wartime shortage of steel and other metals, rather than the weight issue? Even the wood cores were enclosed in a steel casing, and to use laquered wood would have led to a new pattern of sword entirely, I suspect

• Like 2

Fully lacquered wood saya is too time consuming.

Aluminium can be used in same dies or tooling as steel in case of shortages.

Officers with combat experience perhaps ordered these or requested them.

By taking SEA Japan gained access to enormous reserves of Bauxite for Aluminium production, making them the 3rd largest producer of it in the war. In this case Aluminium was in perhaps deemed less vital, even though it would've been in high demand for aircraft manufacturing. Neil what years do you think these swords were made generally? I think if we can find when the blades/fittings were made we can get a better idea of why Aluminium was used.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..