Oshigata catalog.

DavidF

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good oshigata catalog? I'm not looking for an auction house catalog. Specificly, I'm looking for a set of reference books that contain verified mei, and it does not have to be in English. A bibliography would be helpful. :)

If anyone happens to know what the shinsa team used to verify signatures (i.e. what books did they carry on the airplane for the NY Shinsa), that would probably be of great help as well.

If such a beast doesn't exist, a oshigata catalog of the Awataguchi school (i.e. Yoshimitsu) would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

DaveF.

David,

The books that Milt are referring to are called the Nihonto Zuikan. They come is two HUGE volumes, one Koto, one Shinto. Excellent source of verified oshigata. The draw backs are they are out of print and they are in Japanese only. Koshoyama Books in Japan has a set for like $1260 not including the shipping. If I had the loot, I would spring for them without hesitation. Contact them here:

yamamoto@koshoyama.com or http://www.koshoyama.com

Ricky

two volumes

koto zuikan

and

shinto zuikan

BIG THICK taikan type books............... sold my copies a year or so ago to a bookseller friend of mine ( Bridge of Dreams ) since they don't feature too many Bungo swords ( but they do have a few ) :badgrin:

Now I have the Bungo-To book where they feature nothing but Bungo swords :lol:

milt THE ronin

I can also recommend Yumei Koto Taikan by Iimura. It covers Koto only, but is available in the $400 range. Shinto Taikan, also by Iimura is a good reference for Shinto and Shin-shinto Taikan finishes off the set. Few of us can afford to buy all the great books at once; buying any one of the above would be a good start on a library. Grey

Check out this thread for Fujishiros if no-one has grabbed them yet. The dealer in question has good prices, and my set cost me under $200.

They are the most accessible of the oshigata books, and there is an English translation out there somewhere. (electronic and printed)

http://www.militaria.co.za/nihontomessa ... .php?t=253

Worth the money.

Brian

How about the "Kanzan Shinto Oshigata Dictionary (with romanization and English foreword)"? About 730 plates of shinto work. It is not quite English but the romanization of the Japanese is a kind of half way point.

http://www007.upp.so-net.ne.jp/m-kenji/sword_books.htm

PS Just a thought but why romanized Japanese AND an English foreword? Why not English to go along with the English foreword? Or a romainzed forerword to go along with the romanized text................. :freak:

I've got a copy of the Nihonto zuikan (2 volumes). In fact though they are written in Japanese for the koto volume, the index indicates in English the name of the smith.

If anyone on the board needs a copy of an oshigata, I always can scan the page and mail it to him. Just contact me through my mail, using private message.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..