Japanese Sword Need Help And Info

whiteowl022 - Bruce

Hi I'm new to the site and I recently picked up a Japanese sword and need help with validating it and dating if possible. Any and all information would be very helpful. I am adding pictures for you to review. Please let me know The problem i'm having is uploading the pictures. all of them are arounf 5 mb each any suggestions?

Hi -

I know you're excited about what appears to be your first sword, & we're glad to see you on the forum, but it would be nice if, (1) you signed your first name on each of your posts, per Brian's rules, & (2) you did just a LITTLE bit of research on what you have. There are lots of us on NMB who are ready & willing to help out a new collector, but we do prefer a bit of self-help, too.

Your blade could be a katana or wakizashi, depending on its length, & does look to be a traditionally-made Nihonto. It's in minimal polish, & the tip looks to be missing, but that could just be the photos. From the sugata (blade shape), it's probably late-Muromachi to early-Shinto, & possibly Mino school. But, hopefully, knowing these bits of information will make you want to go out & buy a few books to study - right? Sure hope so!

Ken

Bite you meant.

While not fatal probably that is substantial damage and very expensive to repair. A properly Japanese trained polisher should be able to tell you if repairable or not.

I hope you enjoy your new sword. While there is damage you should be able to enjoy it's good points.

• Like 1

Enjoy it as is,(a curio from samurai era) nothing good will come from throwing more money into it. its been badly abused by amature polish work, esp the kissaki. 

PS not bite marks lope of towel thread

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 1

Sorry for not following the rule and I will try to do better.

Here's what I know about the sword: To me Early Shinto (1616 - 1650) and the Yaki dashi is not pronounced - maybe the Keyoto school / Length total 26" and from habaki to tip 20.5 making it a wakizaski.

To me the sword tip appears to have been broke off and the tip was recreated thus washing out the hamon and end. The sword itself is a pieced together from parts from the 19th century(Hizen) and the Minoko appear to be stamped. Except for the habaki which is a work of art to me, made of silver with  a beautiful pattern (I estimate to make this today would be around $1500 to $2000). This Habaki went with this sword and mates up nicely to the blade.

My attempt here was to get a unbiased opinion on the sword from others with maybe additional information. I have started my studying of the Japanese word and like everyone will never learn enough as it is vast field.

My plan is to enjoy the sword as is and for what it is an art piece with issues (LOL). So if anyone has any additional details or opinions about the sword please let me know. Again sorry for not following the name rule.

Thank You,

Bruce

My plan is to enjoy the sword as is and for what it is an art piece with issues (LOL).

Bruce

This sword came to you abused, misused and far from its previous appearance.

Your plan stands you in good stead. Keep it safe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..