Very Rusty Blade, Looking For Translation Of Signatures

Rustyblade

I acquired this "sword" (can hardly call it that with how rusty it is) a few years ago, but havent done anything to it. I decided to see if I can find anything out about it, and was directed here from Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/SWORDS/comments/5os08p/writing_on_handle_of_very_rusty_katana_blade_any/

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Greg. Yes, it's certainly corroded, but it's my educated guess that it's a real Nihonto (traditionally-made Japanese blade), based on what I see as two chiseled - rather than drilled - mekugiana (holes).

If you would like more information, please take more photos of the bare blade, & post them here.

Ken

If this sword is from the "fifth year of Tensho", that would be what, 1575ish? how would this end up in a farmers possession in rural Ohio? I don't know if anyone from that side of my family fought in WWII, and they have lived in the US long enough to have fought in the civil war. BTW, I don't think there is a drop of Oriental blood in me, we are solid European decedents

If this sword is from the "fifth year of Tensho", that would be what, 1575ish? how would this end up in a farmers possession in rural Ohio? I don't know if anyone from that side of my family fought in WWII, and they have lived in the US long enough to have fought in the civil war. BTW, I don't think there is a drop of Oriental blood in me, we are solid European decedents

http://www.nihontous.com/aboutme/treasurehunt.htm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..