Naginata Mei and date

pcfarrar

I am just guessing until someone steps in to say otherwise:

備州(??)æ–°å­æœ¬è¡Œä½œä¹‹

Bishu (? ? ) Niigo Motoyuki Saku kore

慶応三年二月日

Keio San nen Ni gatsu jitsu

***In the brackets is a place name. It looks somewhat like ç”°å› , but how would you read that if such a place ever existed? Detsune? Tanami? Den-in? Or is it one character...? This would take me some time to track down using old maps! :phew:

備州(??)æ–°å­æœ¬è¡Œä½œä¹‹

Bishu (? ? ) Niigo Motoyuki Saku kore

I cannot find the actual smith with the name yet. So, I am unsure about the second kanji in the brackets.

At first, I thought the kanji may be æ—¥ or å› . Now I guess it is æ—¥, and æ—¥æ–°å­ (Nisshinshi) may be the art name of the smith. :?:

BTW, the first three kanji are å‚™å·žä½ (Bishu ju).

Thanks everyone for the help. :)

I can't find any mention of a smith signing this way in Hawleys or Fujishiro. Is this likely to be a gimei or just an unrecorded smith?

Probably an unrecorded smith. Gimei are usually done in an attempt to be someone everyone knows and will pay good money for. (Just my personal opinion)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..