Fs: Shinto Katana On Ebay Nr

Salvatori Moretto

Another one of my previous mounts has gone up for sale while my friend is still down on his luck.

Mumei and o-suriage, this blade has a good weight to it!

This customer used the koshirae that I was selling on here a while ago to use when I mounted this for him.
Wally Hostetter re lacquered the saya in a nice simple black. to freshen things up.

I made a new tsuka and used a high grade samegawa from namikawa in a full wrap which I then antiqued to look old, and a simple black silk for the tsuka-maki.

Used bambo themed koshirae and i believe shishi dog menuki.

I think this would definitely look great with a fresh polish ;) I see a lot of potential for the blade under that old polish.

Nagasa: 67.0 cm.    Sori: 1.8 cm.
Moto-haba: 3.2 cm.  Saki-haba: 2.4 cm.
Moto-gasane: 0.7 cm.  Saki-gasane: 0.5 cm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252727262741?ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649&autorefresh=true

He set the auction as no reserve, I placed a starting bid. As you can tell from the last blade he put up someone got one heck of a steal!

He will only ship to US and Canada, but if there are others who wish to bid, I will more than gladly act as an intermediary, have him ship the blade to me, and then ship the blade for him to your location for only the cost of the shipping I incur.

Good luck everyone!

Cheers,
Sal'

post-3341-0-64718400-1484665934_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-37148800-1484665935_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-95696100-1484665935_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-34176600-1484665936_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-90398800-1484665936_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-30873600-1484665937_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-83284800-1484665937_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-31812100-1484665938_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-81345900-1484665938_thumb.jpg

Hi Sal,

at first you limit the sale to US and Canada bidders only, although there are many collectors outside (e.g. Europe, like myself). 

The koshirae seems to be quite nice but the sword itself is in a bad condition. The "polish" seems to be an acid wash. This would mean that you have to invest in a new polish if you want to restore it to its former glory. Summarising this investment and taking into account that the marked is currently quite down, there might be other opportunities that are more rewarding.

Maybe someone is jumping on it in the last few minutes of the auction but if you have a look at the sales section of this board over the last few months you can see that prices are currently going down. I also currently keep my collection and do not sell any items - I rather acquire new blades as it is a buyers market these days.

This may change but I can not say when.

I hope I wan't too rude with my comment above but this is how I see the sword.

Stephan

• Like 1

This one only has five hours left! Does anyone know why there might not be any bidders yet? Is it just because it's mumei and o-suriage?

Cheers,

Sal'

Limiting shipping to US and Canada excludes more than half your market. Even if you will ship or make a plan, people don't ask, they just move on to the next auction...

• Like 2

Well I ended up purchasing it from him for his starting price. I'll have it at the Tampa sword show coming up most likely. Afterwards I'll put it back up for sale on here and ship world wide.
And thanks for the kind remarks about my tsuka work, I'm just glad I was able to do the koshirae justice :)

Cheers and thanks again guys!
Sal'

Trial and error with a few days of tinkering between light mixtures of black lacquer in a 1/41/5 type ratio, diluted shellac,( put on mut dabbed off just a little so it's not too shiny) as well as the skin gets light baths in coffee before it's molded to the tsuka. I've also literally thrown dirt on it before the wrap ;) Polishing it with a padded 800+ grit padded sanding to help simulate things rubbing over the higher nodes over time.

It can take a day or two to get right on each tsuka sometimes as each skin reacts slightly different each time, maybe due to slight thickness differences?
Thanks again guys!
Cheers,
Sal'

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..