Square Hole Round Peg

Henry Wilson

Does anyone have any ideas or theories on square mekugi-ana? Below are a few examples of what I am referring to. To me they look like round holes squared-offed and I for some reason associate them with koto blades of an above average quality. I don't think there were ever square pegs for tsuka. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

post-14-0-68191300-1484540803_thumb.jpg post-14-0-46401200-1484540840_thumb.jpg

I just read the article and thanks again for bringing it to my attention.

I am wondering about the aburi and tsutsumigane styles as seen below, as opposed to actual square openings. The reason given for the shapes attached is to tighten the peg. For such a reason I can't see how the square shape came about though. Something to meditate on I suppose. ????

post-14-0-94177200-1484555449_thumb.jpg post-14-0-08490800-1484555491_thumb.jpg

An interesting thread. Thanks.

Irregular mekugi-ana are a feature of the first three Kunikanes of Sendai. From my experience (mainly looking at reference oshigata) these smiths often - but not always - created ana that were at least out of round. Sometimes they are rather squarish but there are also holes  that are rather ovoid or simply have a "ding" in one side. I am not sure if this is a kantei point but given the frequency of gimei in this school, a collector once pointed out to me that this attribute would be very easy to "fake" - all it would take is a round file and 30 seconds.

Peter

• Like 1

Being a devote reader of Albert Yamanaka's writtings "back then," somewhere in his newsletter he wrote about the oddly shapped mekugi-ana. Not sure if he suggested why they were made like that but he did write it was often used on Rai School swords (and perhaps other schools of that period). For that reason, I've always watched for such ana on promising "old" swords. I've also see this on much newer swords but they just look "not right" and simply reminiscent of the Kamakura masters. Interesting topic. I need to read what Marcus wrote...

Ron STL

A quote from Jim Kurrasch (Nanka Token Kai, April 1999)

"In the olden times the preferred method for Umegane was to use a piece from the nakago of the sword to be repaired. This gave the exact same steel for the umegane as used in the sword. Maybe that is why one sees square mekugi-ana on some of the older swords. These strangely shaped ana are often on the point side of the round mekugi ana. So maybe when one sees these they should also be looking for umegane."
  • Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..