Looking For A Word

Grey Doffin

Hi guys,

I've been proofing future voumes of Fukushi's Tosogu Classroom as translated by Markus Sesko (see my post in Shows and Events Forum) and Markus asked me for an English word for the metal between 2 sukashi elements.  There must be one (we have words for everything) but I can't think of it.  What would you call the metal left when 2 sukashi are opened next to each other?

Grey

I could only think to call it "positive space" in contrast to ma () or negative space.

However, Ma (same character as the signature of Hazama tsuba, with their intense use of positive and negative space) isn't necessarily the absence of material such as transparency of sukashi.

Silhouette is more about the outline of the form rather than the actual form itself.

Probably Markus' neighbor George is going to come up with the best word, if anyone can.

I think that Curran's "positive space" is the best choice because that is the common term used in many disciplines for this concept (e.g., architecture,  2D and 3D art).  Using positive space (along with negative space when you are describing a sukashi tsuba) makes it very clear whether you are talking about the metal that is left (positive space) or the void that is cut away (negative space).  Those terms make it easy to discuss the image whichever way it is depicted (especially those wonderful sukashi tsuba that have images in both the positive and negative space).  Here are some interesting non-tsuba images that illustrate the point (and one that even Stephen can appreciate...)

post-852-0-58448900-1484406006_thumb.jpg

post-852-0-69769000-1484406025_thumb.jpg

post-852-0-11891400-1484406054_thumb.jpg

post-852-0-72866800-1484406150_thumb.jpg

I used something like "the plate between 2 sukashi" but I was looking for a one word answer.  I'm sure there's a word for it but it probably is quite obscure and closely tied to a specific craft: no one will know the word even if I found it.

Thanks guys,  Grey

What we are talking about here is an

interstice

google it.

And if you need help with pronunciation remember that famous poem

An amorous girl named Knapp

Had pimples all over her map

But in her interstices

There lurked a far worse disease,

For there she supported the clap.

Peter

• Like 4

Ribs work for the tsuba in Brian's example but not so well for the sukashi tsuba below.  Ita doesn't work because it isn't English.  The word I'm looking for has to be easily understood by anyone, whether beginner or old pro, who reads the book.  I'm beginning to doubt there is a word in English; something like plate between the sukashi is as well as I will do.

Thanks all,  Grey

post-20-0-12512000-1484503731_thumb.jpg

I think we may be working too hard on this. The English word used to describe the intervening space between design elements is "interstice". It is a technical terms but it is in common use. I was serious in recommending it, and I apologize if my contributed limerick set a poor tone. I think this is the work that Grey was looking for.

Of the others that have been presented, "MA" (as in "tokonoma") might be appropriate - AFTER IT HAS BEEN EXPLAINED.

Peter

Humor on this sword forum

runs the risk of upsetting decorum.

Seems serious word collectors

can be irony neglectors.

Relax. If you've got beers, pour'em!

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..