Chinese Collectors Of Ww2 Blades/swords

barnejp

Hello Everyone,

Following up on another post;

Regarding Chinese collectors, they are most interested (at least through my dealings) with purchasing Japanese WW2 blades/swords made in China. If anyone is looking to part with a Mantetsu, look to the Chinese. Seems strange considering many of these blades were designed to help the Japanese to conquer all of China but I get the impression that many Chinese collectors consider the blades to be "from their land" 

Interested in what other members think.

Greg

• Like 1

Greg,

After seeing the comment from Brian (Admin) on another thread, we might not get any actual Chinese collectors to respond: "I agree with Wah. There are a number of collectors from there that visit, and the stats show quite a lot of traffic from there. But seeing as it is basically illegal in China, and they do it under threat of prosecution, no wonder they are a bit wary about participating. Like in Russia, where there is a large underground collecting fraternity in bayonets etc, which are also illegal.

Everywhere in the world you get this. For some, it is an added thrill to collecting. For others (such as some of the wealthy Chinese) it is somewhere to put excess funds, and considered a form of art. Used to by the Arab countries..then Russia, and now China."

Cracking the nut with the Chinese sword collecting community is  the next big development in worldwide edge collecting.

There was a time when I really wanted to study Chinese "sword guards" as they contributed to the evolution of Nanban tsuba. I have tried to seek out Chinese fittings and looked for the Chinese "base' behind tsuba that were adjusted, re-purposed, and modified to work with Nippon-to. Fittings of this type are not common. I have also not found accessible information on the historical development and stylistic diversity. It has all got to be there - it a quarter of the world! - but it sure ain't easy to find. I also have to say that much of what Japanese and Western experts have to say about Chinese sword fittings that found their way to the land of the Rising Sun seems pretty weak. The chronology especially is all over the board. The differences between Chinese guards and Japanese copies thereof are also not fully understood.

Whatever it takes, we should do what we can to involve the Chinese collecting community.

peter.

P.S. Is it worth noting that Aoi-sama is now offering a Chinese version of his page?

Hello Everyone,

Following up on another post;

Regarding Chinese collectors, they are most interested (at least through my dealings) with purchasing Japanese WW2 blades/swords made in China. If anyone is looking to part with a Mantetsu, look to the Chinese. Seems strange considering many of these blades were designed to help the Japanese to conquer all of China but I get the impression that many Chinese collectors consider the blades to be "from their land" 

Interested in what other members think.

Greg

I was ask the same question. My answer is probably the same reason why many patriotic Brits collect Nazi militaria. However my parent absolutely hated it.

Wah

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..