Regular Samurai Koto Koshirae

javier

Are there any pictures or drawings of original koshiraes from the koto period ? I am not looking for the court damyo tachi koshirae type I am eager to learn how the blades were mounted by regular Samurai class during kamakura-Nanbokucho- Muromachi periods.

I was able to participate in the great koto koshirae lecture during the last San Francisco Token Kai and I was looking forward to learn more about koto koshirae.

Javier

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

l'm not positive of the title -- Tensho Koshirae? -- a very large taikan size book on koshirae of that period. Sits with my books and something I should pay more attention to! Always advisable to be familiar with early koshirae and be aware of their importance. Ron STL

• 2 weeks later...

This was at the Dai Token Ichi and is a very interesting set. The sword is an ubu tachi attributed to Rai Kuninaga and is 86cm. The koshirae is original to the blade and is Muromachi period. It certainly fits the description of a use item rather than a show item.

110200031.jpg

• Like 2

At yesterday’s sword meeting a collector of tsuka (yes, there are people who specialize in that) brought – among others – two tsuka from the Muromachi period.

The uchigatana tsuka is a very typical example, but the tachi tsuka is quite interesting: the menuki are exactly opposite each other, and it has a full same wrap all the way down, as well as a fuchi without tenjōgane (much like a traditional Japanese kitchen knife); also, the tsuka is egg-shaped.

post-12-0-82432100-1486870080_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-11071400-1486870091_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..