Signature translation, please ...

Walter

OK - I told my buddy to sign up to the Forum but he is somehow shy, even if I explained him that nobody here will bite him for asking the question. 8)

He has the Gunto sword and would like to ask for translation of the signature - Could you help us?

forge_markings.jpg

looks like " verboten "

milt

...looks like " verboten "...

Alles klar, Bungo! Danke! 8)

He's been told by someone that signature looks suspicious (looks more like Chinese than Japanese characters) but he still refuses to believe since he purchased this sword from so-called reputable dealer...

Can you confirm that?

I can also post the photos of the entire sword.

BTW - How to spell/write in Japanese "Caveat emptor"? :)

Well, it's Latin and people quote it to each other in the West, but there is nothing exactly the same in Japan. The translation sounds a bit like a translation and may need further explanation.

In my dictionary the first thing they give is 買手å±é™ºè² æ‹… Kaite Kiken Futan (Buyer takes responsibility for any danger)

You could say 授業料 Jugyo-ryo, which has been quoted at me on many an occasion!!! :lol:

It means, "Write it off as tuition fees."

The difference to me is the Western phrase is kind of thrown at you and gives no solace. The Japanese phrase is humorous, and having a little true philosophy in it, easier to accept.

Well, it's Latin and people quote it to each other in the West, but there is nothing exactly the same in Japan. The translation sounds a bit like a translation and may need further explanation.

In my dictionary the first thing they give is 買手å±é™ºè² æ‹… Kaite Kiken Futan (Buyer takes responsibility for any danger)

You could say 授業料 Jugyo-ryo, which has been quoted at me on many an occasion!!! :lol:

Piers,

How about 自己責任 (Jiko-sekinin: self-responsibility :?: )?

The term is often used in various situations lately in Japan. ;)

Walter,

The place you linked the pic from does not allow hot linking...so we are seeing a "no entry" sign instead of the pic. That is what Milt meant.

You may be able to see it, as it is cached in your browser. Upload it here or to imageshack.

The link is currently at http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/ga/ul/1720061135/inlineimg/Y/forge_markings.jpg

Brian

Thank you VERY much - what a relief it's not the Chinese "gem"!

ummmmmmmmmm, need pics on kissaki, hada AND tip of nakago before we can come to that conclusion.

p.s. the first two kanji are sending out warning signal.........just my gut feeling, mind you.

milt

The difference to me is the Western phrase is kind of thrown at you and gives no solace. The Japanese phrase is humorous, and having a little true philosophy in it, easier to accept.

that is awesome!!!! :lol: Much better than buyer beware. I will use both the Japanese and english versions...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..