Nice Shinsakuto W/ Horimano For Sale :)

Salvatori Moretto

Hello folks, just helping a customer, and friend of mine in need. 
It's one of the blades I mounted just recently, he just put it up for sale. I made the tsuka, seppa and did the tsukamaki and samagawa work, gathered and fitted all the koshirae (except antique menuki provided by the customer) and came up with the over all theme for him. Wally Hostetter did the saya, and Areku did the tsuba, and a close friend of his in Poland did the fuchi and kabutogane custom for this job as there were no fitting large enough for this on the market. 
Only higher quality materials were used, even used a really nice piece of grade 1 samegawa for this one and the antiquing came out very nice.
A lot of craftsman put a lot of work into this very nice and unique tachi style blade mounted as handachi.
It has a nicely carved horimano and he's starting the auction at only $1000!
Attached are just some teaser photos from him auction.
Thanks,
Cheers,
Sal'

post-3341-0-87812000-1483762697_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-80766300-1483762713_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-02404200-1483762728_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-52629800-1483762735_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-34030100-1483762738_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-86262100-1483762822_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-33298300-1483762826_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-01980700-1483762829_thumb.jpg

post-3341-0-94540400-1483762851_thumb.jpg

Salvatori,

You mention it is a shinsakuto. He doesn't mention age or who made it at all on the auction.
It can't be an unsigned shinsakuto according to law there....so is this one of Komonjo's eBay specials with questionable provenance? I would assume it would be, since no-one is clarifying the maker. Or is it something else entirely? In which case it should be either a Shinshinto or something later with mei removed?
Price is fair of course, at $1000 it's a good deal. But the maker and age should be clarified if he hopes to sell it to someone with any idea about Nihonto.

Brian

At $1000 yes it would be a deal, but as stated that is the auction start price!

Already stated, several craftsmen have worked on this, using only higher quality materials.

Unless it was all done for free, I imagine that grand is already spent.

Seller should have high hopes for this item.

Time will tell.

I saw this auction too late. I won't even say what this went for today... go look if you are curious. Even though it was too much blade for my purposes, this is the kind of thing you snatch up out of principle for someone else in the dojo. I get the dubious nature of the blade, but still... at that price with those fittings? My untrained eye is seeing more than a couple elements of that blade that give me warm fuzzies. The work on the fittings was easily worth a grand... Yeesh.

• Like 1

Brian said

You mention it is a shinsakuto. He doesn't mention age or who made it at all on the auction.
It can't be an unsigned shinsakuto according to law there.

I remember someone coming back from Japan after studying kendo and iaido with an unsigned shinsakuto.  The smith did not sign it as it was made in addition to his quota.  Just have to know the right people I guess.

Basically illegal. Dunno if that is considered the "right people" but it will certainly earn someone a large fine if not a criminal record I'm guessing. Wouldn't like to have that found in my luggage.
Not that it doesn't happen. This sword is proof of that.

I wonder that none speaks about the huge sori.

As i start collecting some give me the advice not to buy swords with a unusual deep sori because....

The blade looks unusual for my eyes. But maybe it comes from the photos.

Even with unknown origin, the blades komonjo sells often go for the price this sold for, as a un mounted blade. This might be a blade to some people that is worth appreciating because of its unique look, and to others, a fun, higher quality blade than they are probably used to for cutting :) I can't speak of its origin, but I can say by holding it in hand that it was FAR better than any bugei/hanwei blade that i have held that often sell for the same price...

I don't think they were any false pretenses on his part, it was I that mentioned shinsakuto as I was rushing to post here on my way to bed, but his ebay sale makes no mention of the word :) My fault :) Apologies :)

Cheers,
Sal'

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..