Gunto Saya Length

IJASWORDS

I own some WW2 GUNTOS where the blade is a few inches shorter than what would appear to be the "perfect" length to suit the scabbard. A photo of two examples is attached. The blades are medium grade SHOWATO, nothing special, but fit perfectly snuggly in the SAYA.

Does any one know why it happens reasonably frequently. I have been told that it is like, "mine is longer than yours" syndrome, if you get my drift. I have seen it more often in old wakizashi length blades taken to war made to make them look longer.

Any help/explanation would be appreciated, Neil.

post-3858-0-81129900-1483577071_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a strong theory from Stephen.

I'll throw in my usual 2 cents for what little it's worth. I suspect that yes, there were some traditionally minded individuals that wanted to have a sword closer to katana length. I've attached a picture of a wakizashi that has a wooden extension in the saya. You can see where it's bent over time.

I also suspect that saya are somewhat more conforming than blades, which will not always be of uniform length. Additionally, if the blade is remounted due to damage etc, then it may need a little extra length in the saya depending on sepa and tsuba thickness. I think also that old blades were taken because they were family blades, but not necessarily considered ideal length for the officer, who may be too tall and desire something less comically short. Natural expansion and contraction of materials... yeah I've prattled off a few thoughts now. I'll zip up.

post-3293-0-17512200-1483694367_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..