A Iron Tsuba With Clouds - What Motif?

vajo

Maybe someone can help me with this tsuba.

I bought this iron tsuba a year ago from a honorable member here and we didn't have any idea about the motif. 

There are clouds on it, yes. But what are these silver iron claws coming out of the clouds (dreameater)? 

The tsuba is very nice in hand. There are some gold (dot) applications on it but it didn't came out on the picture.

Thanks for watching.

Regards

Chris

post-3496-0-45568200-1483457828_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-31435900-1483457848_thumb.jpg

Quote by Glaser reprinted in, "The Animal In Far Eastern Art"  by T Volker. 

"Earth and water are embodied in Tiger and Dragon. The threatening violence of terrestrial powers in the giant beast of prey prowling, hunched ready for its spring; the elusive element of water, present everywhere, which ascends in mist and lies curled in the clouds, falling down upon the earth with lightning and thunder, in the fabulous monster to which human fancy has given the form of the dragon.

Another interesting passage from Volker's book...

"To see the body of a Dragon in its entirety was thought to expose oneself to certain death, the punishment for looking upon too much divinity: the eating off the tree  of knowledge."

John I

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..